What MC/Booster are you guys running on Power Disc setups?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

65fordguy

What MC/Booster are you guys running on Power Disc setups?

Post by 65fordguy »

I have been running a late 70s booster/MC for about 8 years.. ive been through 3 MC and 2 boosters.. just not having good luck with these parts store parts.. I know there are several companies making "kits" for these trucks.. GPS, Nelco, Summit, CPP, SSBC.. to name a few.. but these all seem to be a generic GM style part.. and seems like for the most part a few of them are sourced from MBM brakes. Any of you guys run wilwood. or anything? What ya got? post up some pics!
65 f100
bruceandersson

Re: What MC/Booster are you guys running on Power Disc setup

Post by bruceandersson »

I've never had an issue with boosters or MCs. Are you getting new, rebuilt or re-manufactured parts? I always try to go with new, and if not available re-manufactured. I stay away from rebuilt as they tend to be lower quality.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Tried Wilwood, looks good, quality, so so considering price. I have had very few problems with new original style components. I've done lots of "rework" on systems not set up to factory guidelines. Without knowing specifics, that is often a possible factor.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
65fordguy

Post by 65fordguy »

Toyz wrote:Tried Wilwood, looks good, quality, so so considering price. I have had very few problems with new original style components. I've done lots of "rework" on systems not set up to factory guidelines. Without knowing specifics, that is often a possible factor.
Paul

Originally I bought a rebuilt Duralast Gold from Autozone.. they were the only ones that had a booster master cylinder sold as 1..
I didn't even count that in my original post... the first MC wouldn't work out of the box.. the second one failed with in a couple few drives...
Even though it has a lifetime replacement.. I saw this as its time to go else where. Went to Oriely's and got a MC as the booster was fine..
That one lasted a year or so.. replaced it with their warranty.. then it died in another year or so.. about a year prior.. we got an advance auto..
they were offering a "NEW" replacement, picked it up... been working fine ever since then. This one has started leaking pretty good now.. I know
I could just go out and pop on another one.. but the whole setup just felt wonky from the get go. Would like to get a fresh start in right direction.

A user ultraranger on FTE has a few post about his setup which is a early 90s explorer or windstar MC and a early 70s f250 dual diaphragm booster.
He says the rod will be the proper length on the early 70s power brake units. vs my late 70s. although the brackets are different, I don't know how different though.
.. several have mentioned how much more reliable the more modern MC is vs the older style. not sure how I feel about the plastic tank though.
65 f100
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I haven't encountered any non-adjustable rod which is correct. I'm sure there are some; I just haven't found them. The early 70's are close on some applications, but not perfect. Even those sold as a unit don't always meet Ford specs if set up for neutral booster positioning with the pedal rod. This may, or may not, contribute to your failures, especially if some didn't inspire confidence. I don't care for the appearance of the plastic reservoirs, and experience has shown an adjustable proportioning valve is almost a must with those m/c's. Since I prefer the advantages of Ford's combo valves, I shy away from those setups.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
BobbyFord

Post by BobbyFord »

All of this on my 72 is Tuff Stuff Performance. It doesn't matter where you get the parts from as much as it matters getting the correct master bore diameter and the correct prop valve.