Saw this today, may call and check it out. Any thoughts?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DukeRoche
United States of America

Saw this today, may call and check it out. Any thoughts?

Post by DukeRoche »

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/cto/5367174204.html

Its about 4 hours away from me so I'd like to get some ideas before I call him/her to check it out. Any thoughts?
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
longcabjohn
United States of America

Re: Saw this today, may call and check it out. Any thoughts

Post by longcabjohn »

I would look close a engine mounting as 63 didn't have FE.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

Thanks for the response. Not to sound stupid but FE?
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

DukeRoche wrote:Thanks for the response. Not to sound stupid but FE?
Ford-Edsel. On my phone that looks like mid-late 70's valve covers and an Offenhauser or Weiand intake with the large thermostat and 65/66 housing.
Chris
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Looks like a piece meal truck. Fe motor(newer generation v8), wrong bed, newer seat with head rests , single pot master cylinder.(time to up grade)..

Might be a good starting point, if all the numbers match, frame, glove box tag, door tag and title. Look twice, it's your $$.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Grille is '64, but they interchange, so that doesn't definitively mean truck is a 64....

Looking at door to fender gaps, front cab mounts are soft (gap is opening up towards bottom)

Pics are not that helpful, you won't know the real story until you're standing there looking at the real deal.....
DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

I actually asked for more pics and he said he was to busy to take more. Looks nice but it will go to someone else.
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Translation of "Too busy to take more pics" = "If you saw more, you would want it less" :wink:
DukeRoche wrote:I actually asked for more pics and he said he was to busy to take more. Looks nice but it will go to someone else.
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

It's a Johnny Cash truck. Run!
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Other than the engine, rest of the components appear to be '64. Thus, if his title indicates '63; somethun jus' ain't right. Does not appear to be a running truck, appears to have bad cab mounts; I would be real suspicious of that "no rust" claim just from the pics. Just as an aside, in over fifty years around these trucks, I have yet to see a door tag and glovebox tag match, since each was mutually exclusive dependent on year. I wouldn't drive 40 minutes, let alone 4 hours, unless the price dropped about 75%! :2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

The truck has some potential, but has several identity issues. Just remember the tittle goes to the frame on these trucks, and regardless of what the door tag says, If the frame numbers don't match the tittle then it's a parts truck. As to it being a 63 or 64 , states had differing laws about manufacture build date and year titled. Doesn't matter as long as tittle matches. From what I see cab looks fairly solid, but there is a little cab sag that may or may not mean cab mount problems but may just be the rubber bushings collapsing. Ford moved the cab mounts farther forward on the 65/6 models for a reason, I'm sure they knew there was a problem with the cab mounts. My observation is that there was entirely to much weight on the front cab mounts and not enough support for the beating these took. Other issues extend to the bed floor which appears to have been replaced with a steal plate. WE all ;know what that means. Price is within reason in my opinion if you want a beater or everyday driver. If your planning on building a show truck forget it, pay more money and start with something better. Budget limited and want a beater/driver truck would be OK. Just remember, these trucks are expensive to restore. To just do the doors right on one of these trucks will cost in the 300$ range for parts. That does not mean new door handles, mirrors, paint and supplies for painting etc. Nothing is cheap, and when you get done the bed floor will detract from the value of the truck. You can easily spend 10 grand restoring a truck and that is doing it all yourself. You can buy a nice truck for that kind of money. I would call the truck a beater, every day driver type of truck. If you can't go with a better truck, and want one to play with it might be an OK truck, but plan on spending a lot of time and money if you ever want this to be a truly magnificent truck.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

Very much appreciate all the advice. Ive opted not to pursue. I didn't like how he was unwilling to send more pictures. Not so much looking for a show truck, more of something to have some fun with. Of course I'll do some work to it, but want to enjoy it as well. Thanks guys, the search continues.
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!