Vent window

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ProStreet66

Vent window

Post by ProStreet66 »

Does anyone know what the trick is to replace the glass in the vent windows? I put the sticky tape in the frame and tried banging the glass in with a rubber mallet and no luck. I had the frames powder coated so I hope its not to tight now. Also what do you do with the sticky tape in the corners? The corners are tight and the tape bunches up.
61 Merc
Canada

Re: Vent window

Post by 61 Merc »

I would put the tape on the window, soap the tape down and then put it into the frame. At least that is the way I think I did it years ago. You should be able to get thinner tape if needed too, but you do want them in solid.

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

If you know of any auto glass shops around thats been in business a long time, they might still have the special tool for pressing in the glass.They were made to remove and replace vent glasses. The shop should do it for a small charge.
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

A guy at a auto glass place told me to use black silicone caulking and I did about 25 years ago and still looks good on my Edsel
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
ProStreet66

Post by ProStreet66 »

Thanks for the info. I might try a glass shop.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I agree, use Black Sikaflex ... or buy some real nice old used ones off Tom !
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
slickstysix
United States of America

Post by slickstysix »

ProStreet: How did your vent window install go? I need to do the same thing and was wondering if I should use the "tape" or silicone.
1966 SB, 2WD, 390FE, 3x2 6V carbs and intake, 3 on-the-tree (for now).
- Power brakes
- Pertronix electronic ignition
- Ron Francis wiring throughout
- DJM drop beams
- Halibrand Sprint 17x8 wheels
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

did a set years ago, dont remember any issues with the tape but all the stuff was original ford-
frames from a parts truck, knobs from another and took the glass out of some rusty frames
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
jefflovesf250s

Post by jefflovesf250s »

I just rebuilt one of my vent windows. Removed glass by gently heating the seal around the glass and then pried the glass out of the frame from both ends. Took the old tape to glass shop and an old time staffer gave me new rubber tape of the same thickness.
Put the new tape around the glass and "squeezed" it overnite with strips of 1/4 inch plywood held with strong spring clamps. Trimmed the bulge at the rounded corner by cutting at 45 degrees and removed the overlapping pieces, then squeezed that area flat.
Coated both faces of the rubber tape with Rubber Slide, a vegetable oil based rubber part assembly liquid.
Slide the tape covered glass into the metal frame and the Rubber Slide helped it move most of the way back to its fully seated position. Then used 32 ounce rubber hammer to hammer it home by hitting it on the exposed edge of the glass, with the metal frame sitting on 1/4 inch plywood on concrete floor.
I worried that the glass would shatter, but was careful to hit glass squarely, and after 4-5 sharp blows it seated properly in both sides of metal frame
As the old timer said, the glass is thick, and pretty tough, so don't be afraid to hit it, but make the hits squarely.
ProStreet66

Post by ProStreet66 »

I just did mine. I called vintage glass where I bought my glass kit and they informed me that there is different thicknesses of tape, and therefore he said they gave the wrong one. He sent me the right stuff and it went together fine. Thank you for the feed back.