Engine to Machine Shop, any guess what FE it is?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

White97

Engine to Machine Shop, any guess what FE it is?

Post by White97 »

Dropped engine off at machine shop for a complete rebuild. Was told by PO that it was a 390(ummm, sure) truck is a 65.

Block and intake casting are C5*
water pump C6*
Alt Bracket c5*
Heads c8ae-H

Getting, along with all new internals:
Edelbrock intake, carb, and cam (performer or performer rpm, not sure which yet)
Sanderson headers Ceramic coated(already delivered), and a gear reduction short starter Summit or PowerMaster.

Shop tried to talk me out of a complete edelbrock performer RPM top end, said I don't need that much. Need, no, want, yes.
They are tearing it down now and I should get word back this week on what it is 352/360/390. Then I'll decide how much oomph to throw at it.

The big question - will it still leak after the build :D
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
Roger Carter
United States of America

Re: Engine to Machine Shop, any guess what FE it is?

Post by Roger Carter »

Regardless of displacement, try and shoot for something in the 9.0 to 1 compression ratio. This will still allow you to run regular gas and will help maximize the benefits of the aftermarket pieces you choose.

Sounds like you will be doing a major overhaul, so you will be buying pistons anyway. Depending on the cc's of the heads you go with the pistons can vary to get the right compression.

Your machine shop should be able to help with parts choices. If they are unable, or unwilling to help, find another shop, Not all machine shops are geared for performance work.

Remember, especially when working a rig you want to drive on a regular basis, less is more.

Good luck.
Roger Carter
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

C5AE it is not a 406 or 428 unless bored too thin. C5AE started life as 352, 390 or 427. Block FE casting numbers are better used for elimination rather than identification.
Chris
White97

Post by White97 »

Yes, nothing to identify which FE I have, although the C8 heads would be from the 67-71 range, correct? I don't think 352 was being produced by then. So that could make it a 360 or 390. But the c5* throws me on the block and intake. I'll find out soon enough. When I got the truck it had the 'Powered by Ford' valve cover which I think was 1968, I know someone could have swapped them, but they were pretty beat up, can't imagine swapping those for what was originally there.

Roger - yes I agree to less is more. I have some friends saying since it is apart go for the RPM build and get this to about 450HP. But I'm just using it to go to local car cruises with my son. With the mild edelbrock performer build I should end up with about 300HP and 400Ft/lb - More than enough for what I need.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

If the intake is a 4v it would be from a car. To my knowledge there were no 4v pickup trucks till 68. I don't know if the 67 352 carried over the C6AE-R heads or used the C7AE-A heads. Depending on original bore that block could be converted to a 332, 360, 361 or 410. If the intake has an oil fill than its probably cast earlier than January 1, 1965. I had a PCV (non oil fill) March, 25,1965 2v intake on a 65 parts truck.
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

No road draft tube on FE slicks;all were PCV. C8 heads rule out originality. Easy to tell 352 and 360s by the crescent cut-out in crank flange, although some insist they have seen that on 390s. Maybe Slickcollector can tell us if he's ever seen a 390 crank with the crescent.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

None of my 65s were road draft either. I have read here that some 65 FE pickups were. I assumed they were early pre January builds. I had a C4AE-B 390 crank. It had the crescent / half moon on crank flange. It had non grooved journals.
Chris
White97

Post by White97 »

Turned out to be a 352 that is already 10 thousandths over. Said enough room to go up to 60 over
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
64 litl un

Post by 64 litl un »

352s magically become 390s on sale day.
I can drive it home with one headlight.
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

64 litl un wrote:352s magically become 390s on sale day.

haha, too true!
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

The adds that say "Can be bored to 427 CJ" almost makes you feel sorry for the poster.
Chris
btalley63

Post by btalley63 »

If you don't mind me asking, did they quote you a price on the rebuild? I'm sitting on the fence for a 352 rebuild.
White97

Post by White97 »

Brougher's Machine shop in Pittsburgh quoted me $2,500 for a full stock rebuild. Anything extra was on me. I've added another $2,000 in goodies. I was just there Friday dropping off goodies and when I went in they were working on the heads. Flywheel was surfaced and a new gear ring installed. Block is bored and new pistons are in. They bored it out to 360+ He did say someone added later heads (C8*) onto the older block, but that they were better than the originals. This is what threw me to thinking it was a 360 or 390. They should be done in another week or so, I'll let you know the final tally. I opted for some dyno time so that will be extra.

The goodies I added are:

Performer Cam
Performer Intake
Thunder AVS 650 carb
Professional Products Harmonic Balancer
Sanderson ceramic coated shorty headers
Summit gear reduction starter
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

To my knowledge there were no 4v pickup trucks till 68, HAVE NOT seen a Factory V-8 FE with 4V until we brought one in that was a Ford Factory 1975/76 Engine Code M that was a 390 4V At least in Print,, Just like saying ford Factory slicks with 390's None Factory 390 EXCEPT YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND, if you where a very good customer or dealer/salesperson you can get what you want, just like 2V versus 4V Now as far as edelbrock performer I know when we ever get one of those carbs in first thing it gets taken off and replaced but that's to my preference and this They bored it out to 360,, Big Mistake cause should have been bored to 390 with 390 crank and rods,, Gas mileage will be a big factory because both 352 and 360's are gas hogs, take a 360 truck and 390 truck and WOW What a big difference in gas mileage and performance,, Boring out is OK Only if the block was Sonic tested to see how far you can go , cause if gone too far then over heating will become a issue with some other items I saw will not help it THIS Is jut my way of thinking when coming to build a FE,, on the rebuild or they going to open the oil galleries ? chafer the crank for more oil pressure ? match the surface on intake/heads so a perfect match ? at least using a smaller starter so I hope it stays cooler especially with headers like heat and just love to eat starters Need to run a top of line Oil Pump, Oil Pump Shaft, timing gears , Oil & Oil Filter,, I have several FE'S here in the yard suppose to been built by professionals and are junk cause they did not know what they where doing so Good Luck
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

" bored it out to 360, should have been bored to 390." I believe both share the same 4.050" bore. I certainly agree with the advantages of the 390 stroke!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
White97

Post by White97 »

Block was sonic tested. I didn't want to go to wild because of cooling issues, taking to much material out, etc. They said the c8 heads didn't have the oiling issues as bad as the c5 heads. The owner has done hundreds of FE's over the years and is the go-to shop in my area. They also own a pretty successful dirt track team, so I trust their judgment. Told him I didn't want to go to wild. As far as carb I was torn between a Holley and the Edelbrock, flip of a coin. I had a 360 in a 74 before so I know all too well the thirst for gas. The truck is not a daily driver, just something for my son and I to go hit the local cruises with friends.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
White97

Post by White97 »

well the results are in....

As pulled form the truck it was a 352, that was 10 thousands over, 65 block with 68 heads. I added a Edlelbrock 1806 Thunder AVS carb, performer manifold, performer cam and lifters, sanderson shorty headers, power products harmonic balancer. They took it to a total of 60 thousands over. Last night they dyno'd it:

263 HP
349 ft/lbs

Was hoping for a bit more but it sounds great and for a weekend cruiser I'm happy. Going in truck Sunday.
Last edited by White97 on March 7, 2016, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Lou,

Sounds like a nice engine package. I have a Edelbrock 1405 (600 cfm) on one of my 390s and it's happy there. It should serve you well for your application. :clap:

Which Edelbrock Performer camshaft did your shop put in your engine, was it part #2106? :dontknow:

BarnieTrk
White97

Post by White97 »

My part# 1806 I got the thunder AVS carb 650.

Guy who built it was telling all about his first truck - 64 slick. They had a Pantera in the shop they were running same night as my engine. When I picked up the engine he had a factory Five Cobra sitting in front of the Pantera WOW!
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed
White97

Post by White97 »

Well the engine is finally back in the truck and we fired it up for the first time on Saturday with open headers. The smile cannot be wiped off my face. Have to get an exhaust before I can (legally) drive it.
Lou

1965 F100 Short Bed