Anyone know?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64 f100

Anyone know?

Post by 64 f100 »

How to get a cab from California to Illinois without breaking the bank? I just checked my only source and I got a quote of 2,000$.
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Anyone know?

Post by jamesdfo »

DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

That seems really high to me. I had a cab shipped to me Arizona to Pittsburgh and it only cost me about $600. I went through Uship.com as well. A while back some members had some concerns about the information they requested. I didn't have that issue but every case is different. Hope that helps.
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

ive never had any experience in this
but I think I would try maybe advertising on craigslist
put an ad out in CA and explain the situation
never know who might be heading that way with an empty truck....
if theyre going that direction anyway.....
an extra $500 might look pretty good
not saying youll get it for that,,,,
might be worth a try
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
DukeRoche
United States of America

Post by DukeRoche »

Here was the post about the concerns of Uship.com. Again, I had no issues, but everyone's case is different.

http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t ... ip#p209658
The Green Machine

GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Like Duke says every case is different,, If I shipped I would insist on being crated,, I have had a few friends in AZ ship cabs and lets say they did not make it,, roofs crushed sides crushed,, also just ask JC What he thinks about transport of a cab, if you can still find that info on the old site and its was not as pretty thing to look at,, also Rich I have had the same amount quote as well and I either do it my self, also Rich fly in, rent a truck one way home we had a guy from Maine did that or haul in back of truck
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Look at Yesterdays Tractors. I made a living for a couple years hauling for people on that site. You can check the haulers credentials also. There is all ways someone needing a load back. You could find a load yourself out there and bring back your cab.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl
Chris
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I just had a large body section shipped from CA for another project. I had some quotes for $300 but there was no crating included in that price. I finally paid closer to $600 to get it crated and shipped by one firm. Had the part within 5 days. The person I bought the part from was not able to help with crating so I felt this was my best option. Part was delivered with no damage. The company was Craters and Frieghters out of Burbank. You can save a lot if either you or someone else can crate it on a pallet. Cost is based on volume not so much weight. My part weighed less than 100 lbs but the crate was 30x30x80. I had also found that you can save a lot by delivering your crate to a shipping terminal and picking up from same. Company to company is also less than residence to residence. What us rust belters should do is plan an old fashioned tin run.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

You can check the haulers credentials also someone said,, that's a joke like looking at feedback on E-Bay cause some can do a 100% job and next person do crap,, another Good Point delivering your crate to a shipping terminal and picking up from same. Company to company is also less than residence to residence. lot of trucking companies charge 100-125 extra to residential,,,,, BUT If its a business these trucking companies have certain guide lines, Here we do not qualify as a business, Reason no dock so all of our Ups truck freight is all residential.. Here is a strange one DAIRY FARMS,, Not a business , reason they do not sell to the public < :bs: > and this Cost is based on volume not so much weight that is true on all being now moved across country,, also some of the haulers WILL NOT DELIVER DOOR TO DOOR.. 3 years ago we had a customer buy fenders, doors a cab that was not put together so it was in 3 pieces so he got somebody from U-Ship,, took 3 weeks to get here to pickup, then when she got here had to unload half of here truck so she could put in the truck on the way she was going to be delivered so bottom line might be a great rate but how are they going to take care of your parts,,, RICH Where in Calif. is it ?
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Somewhere around San Luis Abispo and Arroya Grande. And thanks guys for the information. I'm in no hurry but the guy selling it most likely is. He's threatening to take it to a scrap yard after he cuts the top off.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Rich I would look closely at those trucks/cabs/roofs along the 101 corridor in Calif.,, we have 2 here that came from that area and the Roofs where trashed,, when I went to pick up the trucks I showed the seller since he did not get a good enough picture and he did not want bad feedback sold it to us less, brought one about 2 months ago looked good in pictures but upon picking it up, Roof was trashed and just not on 61//66 trucks, even up to 1979 closer up on the 101 corridor roofs are trashed
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

6166 Junkyard Dog wrote:Rich I would look closely at those trucks/cabs/roofs along the 101 corridor in Calif.,, we have 2 here that came from that area and the Roofs where trashed,, when I went to pick up the trucks I showed the seller since he did not get a good enough picture and he did not want bad feedback sold it to us less, brought one about 2 months ago looked good in pictures but upon picking it up, Roof was trashed and just not on 61//66 trucks, even up to 1979 closer up on the 101 corridor roofs are trashed
Tom, looks like your just pissed in general. No joke, a little street smarts and determination you can get up and hit the world back even harder.
Chris
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Do not know about me being pissed :?: BUT I have seen so many scams when it come to this on what people say,, I can in person and not this :bs: of pictures, Go look at a truck and say I am going to buy it WITHOUT Even getting out of the truck, and some got out of the truck just to say not interested, I deal with a$$Hole brokers that tell you one thing and do something else, haulers that suppose to do a job and don't ... I had one try to a deliver a truck a mile from my small section that is set aside for us in a big yard in Las Vegas, I even tell them Monday through Friday delivery and still drop off on Saturday, this is just a tip of what people say and do the complete opposite. And that WAS NOT THE Way I was raised and I can say in running trucks across country in 19 years we where late maybe twice Bad Weather did not stop breaks downs did not stop just means run the darn truck harder and faster and do away with something to make and that's the pride we had and that pride is gone. I left This past Sunday night snow and ice on the roads and still went with my rollback to TN to pickup a truck and cannot even tell what color the truck is

I EXPECT WHEN Somebody say they are going to be here 8 in the morning be here not show up noon or later to either pickup parts or say 3 weeks later pickup a truck,, Sorry but when you deal with this :bs: from people in general everyday.. Sorry also I love what we do here and just think,, when everbody sitting watching football games or here on chat, Both me and Kathy are boxing orders on parts or doing other business work or like today in snow and ice pulling parts .. Most any of my posts or comments HERE are for someone to maybe look at something different that I have seen, OR Warn things that are wrong especially on e-bay, we do average 30-40 trucks a year through our gates no body helps us so why do you say I am pissed,, I can with comments like this,, NOW as far as the issues with cab transport or Roof issues I AM STATING FACT Not fiction on what I have seen I guess nobody picked up on JC Problems with his first cab way back then. By the way these trucks we bring in are no 500 dollar specials anymore especially with all the Govt. rules we now have to through on every truck that comes in

I don't want no thank you's or pat on the back or anything at all , Just trying to help Rich to look maybe at a different angle and maybe that is why I spoke up,, well I guess I will just be silent then
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Tom, we appreciate your opinion and knowledge. Please continue to contribute.

The warnings about the roofs are valid. My suspicion from dealing with western and mid-western trucks for a long time is that the painters at the San Jose assembly plant never painted the outside edges of the inside of the roof section from at least 1956 onward. Ohio trucks will rust up to your knees but seldom down from the top. But western trucks do tend to rust heavily around the drip rails from the inside-out.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

I only got sideways twice hauling but got paid the agreed amount both times. A third time the man I was hauling fire trucks for had me look them over for him. I left one in Kentucky due to under carriage and leaf spring rust that the seller was trying to hide. It worked out the man found another one close by and offered to pay me for going out there.

For the most part the people I hauled for were antique collectors. Mostly John Deere. I drug a froze up steam tractor once and had another seller cut a path in the woods so I could load up a 337 Lincoln powered dump truck. Some tried to set my prices for me, those people found other haulers. It was an interesting 2 year break I needed.
Chris
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Like everyone else that has had dealings with the public on a regular basis, you find some bad eggs that leave a sour taste in your mouth. Thank you Tom and anyone else for good advice . Often you just have to put your trust in someone and go with it. I did find someone willing to get the cab to me on the tractor site. By the time the cab gets here I will have over a grand in it, and I hope the roof line is not bad. I have roofs if necessary, but would hate to have to change it out. As to damage in delivery or the piece not getting here at all . I have faith in most people and have been badly burned by a few. I'm sure that it will not be the last time, as there always seem to be another one out there selling snake oil. Everyone seems to have gotten greedy on these trucks lately. Trucks being offered for sale at prices far beyond their worth. Some I would not haul off if given to me. I'm in it for the hobby not a living like Tom, if I was I would starve. Tom has to live this every day, and it's not easy. He deals with people everyday, and I respect his views on what goes on and what can happen.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Keep in mind that Ca has a huge marine layer influence. We also have a lot of desert, as do Oregon and Washington states. Best to buy from those areas as they do not have the salt water in the air. I feel for Tom and try to send trade when ever I can,I understand his frustration.
There are just as many kooks,thieves and liars in the rest of our country not just out here.... The flag looks the same as well.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!