truck bed compatibility '60 to a '63 & vice versa

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

truck bed compatibility '60 to a '63 & vice versa

Post by shipwrecked »

Been digging through the "search" feature on here and just coming up with many interesting threads but not exactly what I was after. So my fellow slick geniuses... please enlighten this padawan.

So- after a year long of not doing much on the truck wrongbed, I am seriously considering switching to a flare side. I've mentioned it before but I am really really digging on what to do. I have always been a fan of a flareside- my first truck was a 99 ranger v6 flareside with manual transmission. :mrgreen: POWER SLIDE! Fun truck!
Through a contact on FB and YT, I am going to contact a guy in Ohio today who has a late 50's ('59 or '60) F100 flare side looking to trade beds. He wants a style side to go on his truck, and I am wanting a flare side. If his is nice enough- I would do an even trade. Just need to trailer it out to PA and do a switch.
My style side has a stamp on the inside fender dating it to Dec 1962. I still have no bed floor in it, and haven't installed the rear flat patches yet. I just haven't gotten the gas to do this project. Not that I bit off more than I can chew- just not really what I want.

Can a short flare side from that era of truck fit on my truck? Visa versa as well. Can my bed fit on his truck? I am sure it could take some modifications- is it possible?

I have been looking at buying new panels but dang it is expensive! over 2000 for a full kit and oak planks.

Please let me know. Thanks!
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
bruceandersson

Re: truck bed compatibility '60 to a '63 & vice versa

Post by bruceandersson »

I am assuming flareside=stepside. I think all the short stepside beds from 1953-whenever (1979?) the top of the bedsides went flat are interchangable. Not true with the 8' beds as the wheel base changed and the fenders were moved at some point. I put a later model 8' bed on a 1955 f250 decades ago and had to remount the fenders.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Shipwrecked I need to speak up on this and to ALL Others,, I only know of 2 that HAS/ MAKES New beds for short beds.. ALL OTHERS Will sell you one BUT Will not work,, I go through this a lot where some body bought a bed from people that sells beds that say are from 53-56,, WRONG, WRONG the bed sides are the same from late 1950 to 1972 BUT And pay attention all fender holes are in different locations and that is what these people that sells bed do not understand so if you buy a bed from them chances are will not fenders right,, Also these same people will sell the cross members as well as being wrong saying 50/72 are the same WRONG Again since the early trucks had straight frame rails, 57/72 has a hump in the frame rail in which the cross members in middle are different,, Just like the wood planks might be drilled different, But that is easy just order the planks with no holes will give it a clean look and all of your bed rail bolts and cross members will hold the bed down. Now for the hard part the short running boards ARE NOT REPO, so can be tricky to find and they only fit 57/72 trucks,, The 73/79 are shorter and different look close but no cigar.. I have plenty of calls on people buying beds from people claiming the beds are the same from 50-72 and now they have to redrill the bed sides and weld up the wrong holes
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I kind of get the feeling the guy will not go out on this bed trade. He has the spare tire mount fender style I want, but he claims its in perfect condition cause it came from Arizona. Of course my truck spent its life in CA,OR and WA in the rain. Surface rust mostly but the bed floor is removed for new metal. Guess I should really get on welding that thing?
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

April, Ideally a flareside from a slick from 61 -66 will fit yours.
A flareside bed from a 53-60 I don't know. I traded a flareside bed to a guy
that had a 66 Styleside bed I wanted, but it came off a slick and they both lined up.
Tom has way more knowledge of these than me so I trust what he says.
Call the guy and have him do some measuring for you from the back of the cab to the center of the rear axle and see if it is close to yours. TR
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

Headed to Tennessee to pick up a Flareside bed on Wednesday. I am picking up a haul trailer as soon as I get to the town the seller is in. Anyway- the truck bed is intact- not disassembled.

I need to put this bed into a 5x9 open trailer. I wasn't planning on bringing anything with me, but now I am considering bringing two pallets in the bed of my truck.
I could probably put the two pallets stacked on the trailer and then put the bed on top. two pallets enough?

the current owner has the bed resting on double stacked cinder blocks.

what do you think?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I think you will have to elevate it to clear the trailer sides. I usually haul the flares right side up, but on a sideless (carhauler) trailer, with just enough dunnage, (pallets, etc.) to keep the fenders from holding the load. up side down works, might use a little less dunnage, but my first thought is that you will need more than two pallets. Of course, you could turn the pallets on the side and allow the bed to be secured against the head board of the trailer, but it would have to be secure enough to keep the pallets in place. A flat bed U-haul might prove easier if available! I can measure the width of one of my flares if needed.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

What part of God's country are you coming to?

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

longcabjohn wrote:What part of God's country are you coming to?

Johnny
A place called Tazewell- its around Knoxville.

I was able to get three free pallets from my local ACE hardware. They are all coasties and I always have a good day when I go in to see them. So those pallets are sitting in the bed of my F150. I have a few pieces of 4x4 as well back there for additional dunnage if needed. Hope it fits.
I built a cart today for the yard. It's 4x3.5 on 2 swivel and 2 stationary casters. Those wheels allow me to roll it in the dirt.Image
I can stack some pallets on top of that for now to raise the height. I will probably build it up a little further when I get more time and more scrap wood.
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

That is 300 miles from me so can't be much help. The blocks the bed is sitting on would be 16" (each 8" tall and the 1 on end is 16") I am guessing your cart is about 12" so you should be ok. You may need to put trailer tires in fender openings.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.