2bbl to 4bbl

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

1965 stepside

2bbl to 4bbl

Post by 1965 stepside »

I have a 65 with a 68 302. the 302 was a 2bbl but I put an elderbrock 4bbl intake and carb on it. a friend who mostly works on Chevy's said I should put a cam in my motor because it burn up since I went from 2 to 4bbl, I personally have not heard that before but he is older and has worked on cars longer so I do value is advice. I am just curious if any had heard that before and if so should I put a cam in or will I be ok? I am not building a racecar just a cruiser nothing fancy at all.
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: 2bbl to 4bbl

Post by slick4x4 »

he is either senile or pulling your leg.....

does it run ok ?.....
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

slick4x4 wrote:he is either senile or pulling your leg.....

does it run ok ?.....
X2

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

I would get a new friend.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
1965 stepside

Post by 1965 stepside »

it does run fine. he is a good friend coworker but a chevy lover so I take it with a grain of salt.
skidoorulz
United States of America

Post by skidoorulz »

It is not going to burn up. it will run on 2bbls 90% of the time and unless it is a mechanical secondary carb will seldom open the back 2 because you say you are building a cruiser. You do however need to make sure your jetting is correct so you don't have a lean issue or a rich issue. Running lean could cause engine damage but you have to be darn lean. You would know it if it was
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

289/302 have been run with 2 and 4 barrel carbs for years without changing cams. Only difference I'm aware of on mustang C code and A code 289s was the intake and carb.

I'm going from a 2 to 4 barrel on my 352 this spring. Going to add an aluminum intake and headers with the new carb. Still undecided if I want to swap out the cam and lifters. Will likely just run whats in there for a bit.
1965 stepside

Post by 1965 stepside »

thanks everyone that makes me feel better. I am on a budget and can not afford to do a bunch of changes.
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Haha, that friend of yours is pulling your leg.
They love to needle Ford guys.
Just don't try to go too big on the carb.
Could probably get by good on a 500 cfm with
vacuum secondaries. Made for 300 cubes or smaller. TR
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

He is twisting your nipple. Dang Chebby guys and their heated tailgates,, what do they know anyway besides how to tweak on us Ford lovers, eh? Like Orange says, Small block fords have factory setups for 2 and 4 barrel intakes, not one thing different about the cams. FE motors the same, especially 360/390s. Ask mr Shebby genius if they change the cam from a 2 barrel 283 to a 4 barrel one. Watch him squirm then.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
BAMAFORD
United States of America

Post by BAMAFORD »

Just my 2 cents for orangeRcode, I went from 2 to 4 barrel carb and a cam change in my 352. I put in a dual energy cam from Competition Cams, I do not remember the lift or duration specs but after installing the cam, the push rods would no longer fit properly. As you know, the majority of FE engines have non-adjustable rockers. I tried shims and what ever else i could think of but with no luck. So I happened upon a set of adjustable rockers for an FE on Ebay (these are hard to find) so I grabbed them up and low and behold I could now get the proper adjustment with the new cam. Moral of the story - don't put a high lift cam in an FE. :lol:
The Second Ammendment is the Original Homeland Security
1965 stepside

Post by 1965 stepside »

thanks every one. right now I have a elderbrock I think it is a 600 cfm that should be ok correct?
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Your friend was probably repeating the old saying I have heard. "A Sunday driver and grocery getter won't last long driven hard and a car driven hard won't last putting around town." Has to do with how low revers wear and oil deposits build up vs the wear on an engine that is run hard.
Chris
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

The only way switching to a four barrel carb will burn up your motor is if the two main barrels cause it to run extremely lean. Generally speaking the four barrel main two will be smaller than a two barrel. Quite often this will increase fuel mileage as long as you stay out of the other two barrels. However, I forsee no problems with what you are doing. If running to lean then a set of jets will fix the problem.

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
66camperspecial
United States of America

Post by 66camperspecial »

My 65 galaxie has a 70 302 that was originally a 2 bbl motor and got a 4 bbl about 10 years ago and ran fine for those 10 years until I burnt a exhaust valve in december,I blame Jegs for that since they sent me intake gaskets that were made for heads with larger intake ports that ended up not sealing too good and causing the motor to run lean that also took out all the intake valves and guides that took about 10 years and 32,000 miles to do the damage. From now on I will check the gaskets more closely and do not let this scare you as if you do it right with the right parts it should run good for many years.