Neutral safety switch wiring harness on manual trans truck?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

tomsrod
United States of America

Neutral safety switch wiring harness on manual trans truck?

Post by tomsrod »

Maybe I have too much time on my hands snowed in on these cold nights as these odd ideas pop in my head. I am considering installing a hidden kill switch. If I wired the negative side of the coil, it would be easy for someone to know what it was. So I remembered when I switched my 64 Fairlane from an automatic to a 4 speed, I simply bypassed the neutral safety switch as I no longer needed it. This got me to thinking that a good place to wire in a hidden kill switch on my 66 F250 would be the neutral safety switch. Only problem is my truck is a 4 speed. Do manual transmission trucks have a wiring harness that was simply connected together at the factory or are manual transmission trucks wired without neutral safety switch connectors?

Pat
bruceandersson

Re: Neutral safety switch wiring harness on manual trans tru

Post by bruceandersson »

The slicks with manual transmissions did not come with a neutral safety switch. I am not sure any ford trucks did. It seems to me the switch was built into the clutch pedal somehow. In short, there is no wiring for this in the stock wiring harness. If you want the wiring hidden, just put the switch at the junction of the coil resistor wire by the ignition switch itself. Its the light pink wire.
64 f100

Re: Neutral safety switch wiring harness on manual trans tru

Post by 64 f100 »

Best fix the hood so it can't be easily opened. In addition, it is not uncommon for the hood to fly up on these trucks. Safety latch is a good place to put a lock but might be a bitch to get the hood up as it would be hard to get to the padlock and it will weaken the safety latch. If they can raise the hood it is easy to bypass and hotwire .

Rich
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus