Edelbrock 1405 - 600 cfm 4 barrel and Performer intake

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

orangeRcode
United States of America

Edelbrock 1405 - 600 cfm 4 barrel and Performer intake

Post by orangeRcode »

Looked on hints and tricks and didn't see a topic on this subject so I'm posing it here:

I've got these and will be installing when I pull the engine in a bit. 66 352 currently with an iron intake and ford 2 barrel. What kit/adaptor do I need for the accelerator cable to mate up with the new carb/intake? Also, what about the fuel line? Looks like the choke will use the existing cable but the accelerator is a different animal. What say you o wise gents?
therealjoeshmoe

Re: Edelbrock 1405 - 600 cfm 4 barrel and Performer intake

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

dont run a 600, it aint big enough for the 352 mine hesitates, ive adjusted and adjusted till im blue in the face!
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

I ran a 600 Holley on my 460 and it did ok. I am sure the engine
would have liked a bigger carb but it did alright. Stock 352 should do fine with a 600. Has a lot to do with volumetric efficiency. A stock carbed engine in good shape will vary between 75-90% volumetric efficiency where a full race engine will be at 100%.
Running around on the primaries over 90% of the time it should be fine.
This is a manual trans truck as well so it should not have any shifting issues.
Lokar makes some nice accelerator linkage for it. TR
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

As TR stated, most calculators will show the 600, even by Edelbroke reasoning, to be plenty big for the 352. Edelbroke should be able to provide a bracket to adapt the cable to the carb. If you have an automatic, it can become more complicated! As to fuel line, easiest solution is to bend an easily obtained replacement 5/16" brake line to run from pump to carb with clearance at all obstacles.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

I've looked at several calculators and the 600 should be more than adequate for the stock 352 as a few stated. I've know of others with 390s that run them with good results. Mine is a factory rebuild that was run on a dyno test engine before they shipped and guaranteed to operate correctly. I've got it so we will see how it does.

Edelbrock does have an accelerator adaptor bracket (#1844) but was wondering if that's what everyone with this setup had used. Will check out Lokar as TR suggested.
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

I don't want to start a "brand X is better than brand Y" discussion, or argument, but...

Both Holley and Edelbrock offer good carbs. The designs of both go back 60 plus years, to the 1950's, and both have their strong points and weak points.

In my experiences, as aftermarket carbs go, Holleys "fit" Fords better than Edelbrocks. Again, I'm not saying one works better than the other.

The Edelbrock is a wider carb than the Holley, and when the Ford A/T kickdown pieces are added, even wider. This requires both the throttle linkage and kickdown linkage to be moved outboard for proper alignment.

The Edelbrock fuel input is typically on the passenger rear corner of the carb with the Ford pump being on the driver's front corner. This means fabbing a new, longer fuel line, or heaven forbid, a couple extra feet of rubber hose.

Just offering my opinion and what I hope is some food for thought.

Hope this helps.
Roger Carter
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Good info. That's what I was wanting. My truck is a manual so no issue with kickdown linkage. However, the fuel line is going to have to be rerouted as mentioned and the accelerator linkage reworked.