65/66 automatic steering column

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66camperspecial

65/66 automatic steering column

Post by 66camperspecial »

I presently have a 69 column in my 66 and would like to find a correct column but I got thinking since I have a later p/s box would a 65/66 automatic column need to be shortened since I think the only p/s box available then was a Bendix and it took the same column when no p/s.
bruceandersson

Re: 65/66 automatic steering column

Post by bruceandersson »

Yes, the original would be around 2" longer. I do not think there is any external differences between the columns other than length from 65-79. The brackets on the later columns have to be moved to fit a slick, but the housings and stuff readily interchange.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The later Dentside columns have a large plastic shroud around the column, wiring ran external to the column, different automatic shift indicators, etc. If using the Ford box; yes, not only the column, but shaft, shift tube, etc; would require shortening and/or modifications.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

we have never had to cut a column for these trucks and as far as this statement The brackets on the later columns have to be moved to fit a slick that is totally wrong since both the brackets on 65/66 columns and 67/79 are totally different,, I have in many times people sent me their columns and had to through most of the parts away due to them reading about cutting columns and was cut and did not function safely and I got a truck from another member here that column was cut and had to trash the tubes cause it might have been good for him BUT NOT For me when doing one for somebody., Biggest BS :bs: is on another site that tells how to shorten column cause you have to cut tube, cut outer column shorter and then cut again to move bottom bearing up closer to shift arm, then as well have the offset shift arm, cut shaft, Sorry but after 18 years I have and will never have to cut any column for automatic P/S on any 65/79 trucks,, 3 speed columns are little more harder but still I have never had to cut a column
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
66camperspecial

Post by 66camperspecial »

When I installed the 69 column I made spacers to mount it in my 66 since I did not want to cut the bracket off the original floor shift column and ruin it,I think I will try to find a junk 65/66 column to get the bracket off of and make the 69 look like a 66 column.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Tom when you say you've never had to cut a column, do you mean you get them custom made with the inner column all as one piece? Or find workable pieces from something else?
I ask because down the track I would like to do the p/s mod and am not interested in cutting a column either so wondering how exactly you do it.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

COLUMNS, I have never cut for automatic power steering trucks I have a WIDE assortment of parts that I know how to interchange with what. For years we have made the column bracket like the ones used on the 61/66 trucks, Its ugly when you look at some of these high dollar inside and see bushings between column and dash or a wide gap between wheel and turn signal plate, Now for 3 speed power steering columns I have done several and never have cut a column either, they are a little tougher to do or buy a junk truck just to get the column. I use FORD shift collar, turn signal switches the bearings etc.. like I said before we have brought many trucks in that some of these columns are dangerous or like this rubber clamps on brake hoses or vise grips on brake lines or no steering couplers just shafts bubble gum welded together
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo