How not to remove rust

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

bruceandersson

How not to remove rust

Post by bruceandersson »

There's always been a lot of talk about how to remove rust. This is more of moral lesson, about keeping our enthusiasm in check.

A few years back I researched how to remove rust from a gas tank. I was totally disappointed in the kits. They did not get the tank clean and then the sealer did not stick. I finally found a thread on using muriatic acid and water. Filled the tank mostly full with water, added some muriatic acid and left it over night. Voila! Next morning the tank looked absolutely new. It took a sealer and problem solved.

My next experiment was to build an box big enough to hold a slick bedside. Same trick, put bedside in filled with water and added the acid. Again great results!

I started trying to figure out how to do a cab or whole bed, when my eye caught sight of the pool that had just been closed for the fall. I had to wait for the wife to be out of town on a girls trip. 3 Friends and I walked the cab into the pool down the steps, it slid to the deep end on its own. In went 5 gallons of acid. Started bubbling right away! We drank a few brews a watched the action. Finally went in for the night.

Next day I had a few surprises. The first thing I noticed outside of the massive rust based bathtub ring, was that the water as down considerably. I had a half submerged partially cleaned cab sitting in a toxic bath with the wife due home in another day. When I went to open the drain, it was already flowing - so I knew where the water went. Well muriactic acid does not like aluminum or visa-versa. It had attacked any aluminum fitting with a vengeance.

I waited for the pool to empty, and called the boys back. Second surprise - very hard to get it back out of the deep end with the slimy mess that was left and the steepness of the drop off. Garden hose was too slow, ended up renting a high pressure pump to wash the pool and cab down so we could get some traction. It was getting dark by the time the cab was recovered and the pool somewhat clean.

Instead of fessing up, the cover just went back on and I faced the music about the pool in the spring, boy was I surprised to find out that termites must have eaten the PVC over the winter. They also left a strange rust colored mess on the pool surface. So to save a little cash on de-rusting a cab, I lost the pool as it was too expensive to dig everything up repair and re-plaster.

How'd the cab come out? OK, still had to remove the remaining paint and blasted it anyways.

The moral of this story? Always check the date on the post!
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: How not to remove rust

Post by slick4x4 »

:cussing: .....
I was wondering the whole time... Is this for real ?
But, but, but,...... I won't put anything past a Slickster
Ya got me !
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

:rotflmao:

very good, had me going until the end.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

Nice one.... ha ha ha. Had me going for a while.

Nic
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

I knew it couldn't be legit, how many people that can actually afford to have a swimming pool are into slicks?? lol
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

loved it.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

hook ,line and sinker. Well done Sir.

Danny
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

hook ,line and sinker. Well done Sir.
Yes x2..... !!!!
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

jamesdfo wrote:I knew it couldn't be legit, how many people that can actually afford to have a swimming pool are into slicks?? lol
Thats my exact thought too. There is no way you can have both of these and not be in debt up to your ears.

:)
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Good one, you had me hook line and sinker :lol:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

And here I was thinking you were using a municipal pool
because no Slick owner I know could afford any fancy pool big
enough to put a cab down into. More like one of those soft side
ones like the kids play in that are about big enough to get wet
in and float on an air mattress and drink a brew in if the kids aren't
in it. Ha! TR
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

shipwrecked wrote:
jamesdfo wrote:I knew it couldn't be legit, how many people that can actually afford to have a swimming pool are into slicks?? lol
Thats my exact thought too. There is no way you can have both of these and not be in debt up to your ears.

:)
Not true. I own a Slick and have a pool. Well, it's in my shop right now but in about a month, I will erect it and have the finest above ground 22'x5' pool you can buy at Walmart. :rocker:
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Actually, I do have a pool, though not big enough for a slick. My wife and I use a 1' deep kiddie pool, close our eyes while we float around on air mattresses and we can't tell its not Olympic sized.