66' dash question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

66' dash question

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

I am new to this generation of Ford trucks, I have been looking for a 66' because I like them and it was the year I was born :D Anyway, I am seeing some with a round speedo and some with a more upgraded dash with a bigger sweep type speedo and more gauges. Is the dash/gauge layout different from trim package differences or has somebody changed either one of these over the years? Sorry for the dumb question.
tomrooster
United States of America

Re: 66' dash question

Post by tomrooster »

Custom Cab sweep dash / standard cab round speedo
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

tomrooster wrote:Custom Cab sweep dash / standard cab round speedo

Got it, thanks!

Are the gauge clusters interchangeable?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

They change out pretty easily, as long as the instrument harness is included.The sweep style uses only one turn indicator lamp for both sides, so there is a small jumper involved which is included with the sweep harness. The "more Gauges" were an option and commonly found on the Camper Special packages. Those would also require the matching harnesses, plus the correct senders for the additional gauges.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Toyz wrote:They change out pretty easily, as long as the instrument harness is included.The sweep style uses only one turn indicator lamp for both sides, so there is a small jumper involved which is included with the sweep harness. The "more Gauges" were an option and commonly found on the Camper Special packages. Those would also require the matching harnesses, plus the correct senders for the additional gauges.
Paul

Thanks for the info. I'm in the looking stages for a truck. The gauge layout will not be the decision maker, just trying to better understand what I am looking at. Looking at two trucks Saturday, one a F250 CS, the other a basic F100. Both are 1966, long bed, 2wd, 352 4 speed trucks.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Buy both of them..........
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Mr. Jones wrote:Buy both of them..........

I have thought about buying both of them. From the pics, they both appear to be nice, rust free, running trucks. If I were to buy both, it would cut into my parts budget, it would take me longer to get one of them on the road.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

CreepyOldGuy wrote:

I have thought about buying both of them. From the pics, they both appear to be nice, rust free, running trucks. If I were to buy both, it would cut into my parts budget, it would take me longer to get one of them on the road.

That's a rather minor factor to some of us! We wouldn't have a clue if we actually completed one project at a time, or at all! Of course, in the unlikely chance that actually happened; we'd just be looking for the next one!
Trust me, two can be quite handy. I've been playing with these since they were new, and still get plenty of those head-scratching moments where having a like truck nearby can be enlightening.
BTW, forgot the important opener: Welcome to the site! Since you are fairly near by, please try to join us in August at Slickstock Salina. You'll definitely enjoy it, and almost guaranteed to leavce with lots of additional knowledge.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Toyz wrote:
CreepyOldGuy wrote:

That's a rather minor factor to some of us! We wouldn't have a clue if we actually completed one project at a time, or at all! Of course, in the unlikely chance that actually happened; we'd just be looking for the next one!
Trust me, two can be quite handy. I've been playing with these since they were new, and still get plenty of those head-scratching moments where having a like truck nearby can be enlightening.
BTW, forgot the important opener: Welcome to the site! Since you are fairly near by, please try to join us in August at Slickstock Salina. You'll definitely enjoy it, and almost guaranteed to leavce with lots of additional knowledge.
Paul

I will consider purchasing both of them. Trying not to get too excited until I see them.

I'm going to try and attend Slickstock, only about 7hrs from my house.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Toyz wrote:.The sweep style uses only one turn indicator lamp for both sides, so there is a small jumper involved which is included with the sweep harness.

that would be this
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton