Looked at a 1966 F250 today

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Looked at a 1966 F250 today

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Wanting to buy my first Slick. I was supposed to look at a couple of them today, but one of them sold, it was a 66' F100 LWB 2WD. Anyway, I was able to look at the one I had more interest in, a 66' F250. I'm posting what I saw of the truck hoping for a little insight on what I am looking at. I have no experience with these trucks except for the reading I have done on this great forum and the other general Ford truck forum.

The truck is a 1966 F250 Custom Cab, originally (I think) a 352 with a 4 speed. It currently has what the owner believes to be a low mileage 73' 390 with the original to the truck 4 speed. It is said to be a Camper Special, I'm not sure how to ID a CS, it is missing the badges on the front fenders. The current owner bought it in running condition about a year ago. He said it had previously been sitting for an unknown amount of time. It was purchased as a project for him and his stepson. He cleaned the fuel system out, basic tune up, said it ran great. Brakes went out and the stepson is no longer in the picture so it is for sale. We could not get it to start this morning, no battery, we tried jumping it so I know the engine is free, but we could not get enough juice to spin it fast enough to start. I have no additional info on how (or if) it runs. It is clean under the hood for an old truck that has been sitting for awhile, everything appears to be there and intact. No power steering or power brakes. One potential issue, he has the title from when he purchased it, says he went to the DMV this past week to put it in his name. Long story short, now there are title issues. The guy he bought it from is a friend, he does not seem to have any concern getting the correct title for the truck but said it may take awhile if has to get a bonded title.

The body is excellent, very straight, no external rust except for a small place on the leading edge of the hood. The floors look great. The cab mounts closer to the bed have some rust, they are intact but should probably be replaced. No other rust I could find, but I forgot to check the radiator support. The trim is off of the bed, there is a bunch of trim in the bed and an anodized looking grill from (I think) a 65'. Also an extra driver side door in excellent condition and the front bumper in the bed. I think most of the trim is there and in driver condition but I cannot say for sure. The paint is half original and half primer, paint code WM which I believe is white over blue? The cab roof is blue too, looks to be original. Back inside the truck, the bench seat looks to be of mid 70's vintage or possibly reupholstered at some time, not in great shape but usable. The only thing missing in the cab I could figure out was the radio, looks like someone may have cut the dash for a larger radio though I am not sure what it should look like stock. The truck looks good underneath, no major leaks, nothing beat up. The tailgate is a little beat up on the top, I'm not sure if it salvageable.

I told him I would get back with him tomorrow with an offer or to let him know I was not interested. I am interested, I like the truck a lot. He is firm on his price at $1500, and he will have a good title at this price.

What would I do with the truck? This would be a slow, mostly stock restoration. I would make sure the engine runs good, then go after brakes, probably upgrading to power and front disc, if not disc all the way around. I would likely add power steering and go through the front suspension while doing the disc conversion. Then maybe drive it while I save up for more major restoration steps, paint, interior etc. I envision a nice Slick that I can take out and cruise on the weekends, teach my 8 year old twin boys how to wrench on and just have fun with! It would not be used for an hauling or towing, I have another Ford truck for that.

Any words of wisdom?
Last edited by CreepyOldGuy on April 11, 2016, 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Re: Looked at a 1966 F250 today

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Pics did not work. I will try and figure that out and post them.
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Here are a few pics. Sorry about the blurry cab mount :)
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I think that's a nice lookin' truck for 1500. I'd take a battery back out and see if I could get it fired up.

As for the title...that can be tricky. IMO if you trust the guy and really want the truck I'd ask him for paperwork showing that he went to the DMV. In NY the DMV would give you a receipt showing that you applied for the title and that its on its way. Maybe you could get a bill of sale and give him half up front and half when he gets the title.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

I would buy that for $1,500..easy no brainer...
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

likin' what i'm seein'.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Thanks for the input. I am thinking I will offer his asking price and have him chase the title down. He seems very confident that it is not an issue.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Looks like a pretty good deal! It may well be a Camper Special considering the drivetrain and the gauge package. Any sign of tie down points on the front of bed facing the cab, or the bed-side toolbox? Those are often found on the CS, but all could also be purchased as stand-alone options. With the 4.10 axle, my guess would be the seller's info is correct.
I would suggest verifying the frame vin located on the top of the rail somewhere above the passenger twin-beam. If it matches the door and paperwork, I think you will have an excellent start for little initial investment.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Title issues are never hard for the next guy. Word of warning title has to match the frame number. First, check title VIN number against door tag, then check against frame numbers, found on the passenger side frame rail on top . The numbers will be between the cross member supporting the engine, and the radiator. Take a knife and scrape the frame to find the numbers. State to state varies on the laws, but rest assured title goes with frame on these trucks. Some states will never check others like Kentucky will, when a truck comes in from out of state. Do the check before doing anything else. Tittle problems are no fun and costly. I suggest deposit on truck, the rest when you have a clear title.

Rich
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

Thanks to Paul and Rich for the suggestions on verifying VIN numbers. I'm going to call today and make him an offer, pending a good title. I will be sure that everything matches before I pay for the truck. The truck is about 6 hours round trip from my house, I am hoping he will hold it without a deposit, but I will run down there again if needed. That would give me the opportunity to try and start the truck and verify VIN numbers. I am expecting it to take a few weeks for him to get the title, anxious to start working on it!

Looking at my pic of the dash, any ideas if someone has hacked the radio opening or if I could still get a stock radio in there? Though I will not do a true to stock restoration, I like the look of the factory radios in old cars and trucks. They look strange to me with a modern stereo in them.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

CreepyOldGuy wrote:Looking at my pic of the dash, any ideas if someone has hacked the radio opening or if I could still get a stock radio in there? Though I will not do a true to stock restoration, I like the look of the factory radios in old cars and trucks. They look strange to me with a modern stereo in them.
yes unfortunately someone cut a garage door in the middle of the dash, one of the things people do that really annoys me
you could get a piece from a junker with a good dash either blank or with the factory radio holes in it and cut and weld it in
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:
CreepyOldGuy wrote:Looking at my pic of the dash, any ideas if someone has hacked the radio opening or if I could still get a stock radio in there? Though I will not do a true to stock restoration, I like the look of the factory radios in old cars and trucks. They look strange to me with a modern stereo in them.
yes unfortunately someone cut a garage door in the middle of the dash, one of the things people do that really annoys me
you could get a piece from a junker with a good dash either blank or with the factory radio holes in it and cut and weld it in
I was afraid of that. I will keep my eyes open for a parts truck or a dash.

To answer another question from earlier, yes it has the tool box on the passenger side, it is nice shape too.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The Camper Special description is likely correct, then.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I say go for it.. I gave half of that for mine and I am getting ready to scrap the hood and replace it with a better one.. the last piece of the body left of the truck when I bought it.. :( so to start with something that looks like that is well worth the 1500$ if you want to see what your not going to have to deal with, check out my build of Eventually.. make sure he has the title though.. give him a down payment and go from there..
CreepyOldGuy
United States of America

Post by CreepyOldGuy »

I decided to pass on this one. The title issue started sounding a little fishy to me, though it could be completely legit and easy to title, I do not want to take a chance on it. Still looking.....
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

CreepyOldGuy wrote:I decided to pass on this one. The title issue started sounding a little fishy to me, though it could be completely legit and easy to title, I do not want to take a chance on it. Still looking.....

If original the brake and clutch show a lower mileage truck. The thermostat housing, intake, vacuum advance and valve covers are newer than the truck.
Chris