Power steering gearbox removal help

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RustNdust65
United States of America

Power steering gearbox removal help

Post by RustNdust65 »

So I'm kind of having a strange problem removing my power steering gearbox. The engine and front clip are removed so access is very easy. So the steering input at the rag joint is disconnected, the three bolts holding to the frame are removed and the cotter pin and castle nut are removed from the steering control arm. There are no other connections that I know of being that I can pick up the gear box and spin it and wiggle it but it will not come off of the bolt on the control arm. Is there a trick to this or should I just go beat the hell out of it with a sledge hammer til it pops off? I was going to cut it out but I'm trying to save it just in case somebody wants it.
unibody madness
United States of America

Re: Power steering gearbox removal help

Post by unibody madness »

You might try a little heat on the control arm ... then try the hammer...I would reattach the box first so you don't wail away all day.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
tomrooster
United States of America

Post by tomrooster »

I saw on TV they used 2 hammers at the same time , one from each side, I didn't try it but it seemed to work good. Tom
1966 F250 Camper Special parts truck
1966 F 100 w/391 ft
1965 F 100 project
1958 Edsel Pacer Convertible
1953 ford Customline 2 door
1952 8N
1967 triumph Bonneville

I'm still not a good welder but I've become a good grinder
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

I think that's a good idea re attaching the box back to the frame. Ill try that and let you know how it goes.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

It is usually easier with the box still secured to frame, but tomrooster has the right plan. A single hammer on the side of the arm will usually shock it loose. A second large hammer used as a backup held hard against the other side often persuades the stubborn ones. Most chain auto parts houses will loan you a "picklefork", which can be used to help wedge the pin free of the bore.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Control arm? The connection to the box should be the pitman arm. Usually needs a specific puller as they are a B***** otherwise.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

bruceandersson wrote:Control arm? The connection to the box should be the pitman arm. Usually needs a specific puller as they are a B***** otherwise.
If we wish to be technical, the pitman arm attaches to the sector shaft. The pitman arm can easily be removed from the shaft, but then, if being re-used, will require indexing for re-installation. Depending on what is to be replaced, I find it much easier to separate at linkage ball stud;(drag link, control arm, we get the idea), especially since that is often the part needing replacement. If replacing the steering box itself with the front clip removed; I would still likely remove as the OP, then bench remove the pitman arm. 'Course I'm somewhat old and slightly blind, as well as somewhat opposed to working under a truck trying to align a pitman arm when a bench with lighting is seemingly more user friendly! One thing which has gone un-mentioned; hit the pitman arm itself at the ball stud rather than trying to hammer the stud out of it's fit. The shock effect on the arm usually will easily allow the ball stud to un-seat.
:2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

Check out the post I just wrote about reinstalling that power steering box. May save you as bit of headache in the future. Also, those steering boxes are heavy and ackward. I found that using a simple set of 2x2 rope blocks attached to something directly above the steering box (I used my garage roof truss) helps hold the weight while you align bolt holes. You can attach to the steering box with a piece of cord or wire through the brake line mounting holes on the top. Hope this helps!

Justin
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Ok so I finally got the gearbox out last night. What a pain in the butt that was! Removing the entire engine and front clip was child's play compared to this haha. Taking everyone's advice I "attempted" to mount the box back to the frame being it was still connected to the control arm or pitman arm or whatever you want to call it was a workout. Once I had that moving free I ran into the problem of interference with the rag joint. Seeing that I only have two hands it took some serious muscle and careful planning to spin the steering input at the rag joint (dumb me didn't lash down the steering wheel) and line up the bolt holes tithe frame all while lifting the gearbox up and over. After many cuss words and slammed knuckles I got just one bolt in. At this point i was so mad I skipped the heating stage and with one swing against the joint it popped apart with ease.

Lessons learned...
Do not disconnect the gearbox from the frame then try to manually push the tires one way or another..dumb... Popped the rag joint out and led to my misfortune.

Tie down the steering wheel...leads to huge headache when installing unless you have a helper.

In retrospect I could have done this in ten mins but live and learn. Thanks guys for all your help. By the way I have power steering gearbox I'm practically giving away if anyone needs one. Nothing wrong with it just doing a ifs swap.