swapping floor pans

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

HotRodMatt

swapping floor pans

Post by HotRodMatt »

just need to bounce an idea around.

lets say i have more time than money, lets say i work at a restoration/hot rod shop and am not scared of welding and fab work.

i have a 66 cab with great floor pans, and a rusty roof. and a 66 chassis

i have a great rust free 64 cab.

if i drill the spot welds all out will the floors swap so i can put the 66 in the nicer cab and put it on my frame?

thoughts? suggestions? horror stories?
36truck
United States of America

Re: swapping floor pans

Post by 36truck »

I've been thinking about doing the same thing on my 66. I just need to find a cab with the roof smashed in with a good floor. It won't be easy but with your experience and the tools you have at hand I say go for it.
Tom Williams
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Have you placed both cabs side by side to do a dimensional comparison?

Would it not be easier to just change the roof panel?
If the inner structure above the door opening, but underneath the roof panel is rusty, then I would consider doing a "Top Chop without any chop".( ie: Splice the good roof on the cab that fits your chassis)
***I would also use a short chunk of surplus windshield post, trimmed to fit inside each post splice, and put several plug welds above/below each splice point to add a bit of reinforcement.

Or.....just make mounts to go on the '66 chassis to accept the '64 cab, but IIRC, there are differences in the 66 vs 64 steering that then have to be dealt with as well, look through some of Brian's (Iceman6166) posts for more on this....
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

The floors, cab mounts and firewalls are very different between the straight axle truck and the twin ibeam trucks. That is assuming both are 2 wheel drive.

Similarly, the roofs are potentially different - IIRC, sometime mid 64 they changed to the roof that it slightly higher. However that shouldn't prevent you from swapping the roof as noted above.
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I'd sell the good 64 cab and find a 65/66 cab for your later frame. There are a lot of differences between the two cabs.