Aftermarket Wire Harness.........?'s

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mr. Jones

Aftermarket Wire Harness.........?'s

Post by Mr. Jones »

Need a little input from anyone that's used one of these,wondering how many different ones are out there,which ones to avoid,and how do you like the one you used.....
Thanks,
Dan
slickstysix
United States of America

Re: Aftermarket Wire Harness.........?'s

Post by slickstysix »

Dan,
I used a 24 circuit Ron Francis harness that was "built" for our trucks. Problem was, the headlight switch they provided was a GM piece with a billet knob that wouldn't match anything else in the truck. I wanted to use all original switches and gauges, so I had to figure out and find schematics for them so I could do it right.
In all the Ron Francis kit is nice because you start at the light/gauge/engine and work backwards to the fuse block and have no leftover wires to tuck under the dash for future use. Just add them later if you want. All of the relays and fuses are included and the instructions are good. Customer service was also good when I had questions.
I bought mine through Summit which was cheaper than thru RF, but i think if you call them they can customize a kit for you so you don't have to go thru the investigation like I did...
1966 SB, 2WD, 390FE, 3x2 6V carbs and intake, 3 on-the-tree (for now).
- Power brakes
- Pertronix electronic ignition
- Ron Francis wiring throughout
- DJM drop beams
- Halibrand Sprint 17x8 wheels
65TremecGT
United States of America

Post by 65TremecGT »

Im also in the same boat, need a wiring harness for my 66, the original is absolutely baked. 24 circuits seems like a lot, did you add lots of stuff like power window and doors or just have the extra capacity for future use? Thanks!
1965 Ford F-100 Short bed Custom Cab, Worn out six for now.
1966 F-250 Ranger waiting for a 79 460/C6 + Disc Brake and PS swap
slickstysix
United States of America

Post by slickstysix »

It wasn't that much more and because the wires aren't permanently attached to the fuseblock, I figured I can always add them if I want later and not have a huge nest of wires under the dash.
1966 SB, 2WD, 390FE, 3x2 6V carbs and intake, 3 on-the-tree (for now).
- Power brakes
- Pertronix electronic ignition
- Ron Francis wiring throughout
- DJM drop beams
- Halibrand Sprint 17x8 wheels
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I've used Painless wiring kits twice now, and have had no problems with them, other than my thick head. I have a eziwire I think it's called, for Beryl, got it from Tom, haven't used it yet :roll:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
CraigM

Post by CraigM »

I just finished doing a complete rewire with the American Autowire Classic Update kit. It was my first complete rewire and the directions and diagrams made it fairly easy. Way easier than I thought it would go. It is a bit pricey but the instructions made it worth it for me. If I had better wiring knowledge I probably would have gone with a less expensive kit but I'm happy with what I have now. I found Summit to have the best price on the kit and crimper set.
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

I just finished re-wiring my '65 with a Kwikwire 14 circuit kit. I have never done anything like that before so everything was new. I needed some help from this forum on a couple of points and the company was very good at answering questions. The only thing that is unfinished is the hazard lights. Kwikwire was no help at all with this telling me that there are dozens of different configurations and it was just sort of up to me to figure it out. This might not be an issue for you, me, I needed some hand holding.

Julie
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I used an American Autowire harness in my truck. I had a lot of accessories going in this truck, a/c, P/W, PDL, fuel injected engine, Cruise, digital speedo, alarm and more so I had some questions as I went along. Their customer support(technical support) was the best support that I have ever had. When I do Nick's truck, I will use them again just because of their support.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel