F100 Supernational tale

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RustNdust65
United States of America

F100 Supernational tale

Post by RustNdust65 »

So just got back from the f100 Supernationals just outside of Nashville TN. Saw some really nice slicks there and got to talk to a few of the owners. I quickly learned a few things though. With the exception of one truck or two none of them would stray from the mustang ll front suspension. The majority of these trucks where definitely not show trucks but they still looked really good. When I asked them why that set up they all baulked in disgust at the idea of the crown Vic or Dakota front end i wasn't questioning there decision at all I mean I know everyone has there opinion and to each is own but dang these guys acted like I just slapped there momma or something when I told them I was half way through my crown Vic ifs. Do slick owners really hate this idea that much? It won't change my plans for my truck by any means but I just curious if any one else has seen or experienced negative feedback about there choice with these front ends?

Either way it was really awesome to see the different styles and creations that people come up with. I've never been to slick stock but if it's similar to this (probably better) then I might make the trip to Salina this summer.
64 f100

Re: F100 Supernational tale

Post by 64 f100 »

Interesting, but I have not seen it come up before. Personally, I like the front ends on our trucks. Any time you alter or lighten up the suspension, it is no longer a truck and I would not use it as one, without a lot of testing before hand. I don't like the later mod motors and often when people use the crown swap they also use the engine tranny combo. Like everyone, I have my opinions of what a truck should be. Slammed to the ground may look cool, but it is not my idea of a truck. It is my opinion, that it is a truck and once you can't use it as such you've destroyed it's usefulness . I also like the idea of only having to carry one spare tire that fits all the lugs on the truck. Though not a big deal to make these all the same, it's just another problem to me. As to the mustang swap, I have not perused the info, but sounds to light in my opinion. I like the stock front ends with upgrades to improve handling, longevity, and drivability.

Rich
dmsmith6

Post by dmsmith6 »

I also went to the Supernationals and unintentionally pi$&ed off a fridge owner. He had slick hubcaps on his fridge. I have two fridge caps hanging on my wall. I was going to offer to send them to him for free!!!! He got super mad at the insinuation that his truck wasn't 100% original and insisted that the caps on his truck came on it new. My point being, people are touchy/defensive when it comes to their trucks and sometimes it doesn't pay to try and be a nice guy!!!!!!!!
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i agree with you Rich

i had a couple mustang 2s back in the day, cant say that i would ever use parts from one on a truck

your truck your choice
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Not sure what everyone percieves as the "weakness" in the MII setup. It certainly is not a truck suspension, but I see no inherent weakness for use as a "cruiser". It has been used long enough to have widespread support as far as improved components is concerned, including 5x5.5" hubs to retain the original pattern. CV parts stand up to taxi and pursuit use in heavy vehicles; Dakota trucks probably have higher GVWs than F100 slicks, and again can be upgraded to full size truck hubs and rotors to retain original pattern with definitely improved braking capacities.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ny1964
United States of America

Post by ny1964 »

Thats ok Rich tell a ture slick guy that your truck is sub frame out with a 1978 cadillac seville and the 12 bolt posi rear end
if it goes it goes if it don't it won't unless the hammer is the right size .
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Toyz wrote:Not sure what everyone percieves as the "weakness" in the MII setup. It certainly is not a truck suspension,Paul
my point exactly.
the same pothole in front of a store in town that hurts in my car i dont notice in the truck.a lot of that im sure is due to the larger tires but still...

had a guy with a newer king ranch truck tell me my 66 was from the days of real trucks, not cars with tiny beds like what are mostly sold today.
then he told me he bought his truck as a tax deduction for his farm.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

For the most part everyone was pretty nice and if you needed that hard to find slick part it was there for the most part (some where a bit over priced in my opinion but if you really needed one I guess) For the record I'm not knocking the mustang ll front end. Most did a very good job installing it and choosing the wheels that fit there truck. As far as using the truck to its full purposes as a truck I understand that most people would agree to that but I have an 04 that's 4wd that I use as a daily driver so I honestly have no need for two of them. But that's just me. But what I found strange was one guy told me I was stupid for using a crown Vic front end because it doesn't drop it very far down and my wheel selection would suck. The following sentence he told me he used a grand marquis to do a front end swap...I smiled and walked away. Other then that everyone seemed pretty knowledgable and friendly.

Besides the 50's Effie's the coolest truck I swap there was a late 50's red f100 that had the gt500 treatment. From wheels all the way to the engine. It was pretty awesome
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

I have an ''Old'' 85 F150 that is my ''Work'' truck for carrying heavier stuff if I need to and have my 57 Fridge and 64 Slick to cruise in. They will be both lowered and probably never carry anything heavy again. Their work days are over and play days are ahead.
Sounds like the MII guys you met are pretty set on that style IFS mod and wouldn't budge from it. Each to his own. Personally I would like to go the Dakota IC IFS myself if I do one. After all, it was made for trucks with truck parts. No worries to me if it isn't Ford. I know several folks who have them in this bunch and really like them. But it is also a real good possibility I would go with a 3 inch dropped axle from Sid's. Now that is keeping it simple. He has been telling me about a spring company he has been working with for custom front springs for 61-64 Slicks and 57-60 Fridges. If you ever see his 64 shop truck and like lowered trucks like I do you will see what I mean. It just looks bitchin!
Not only that but his wife Teresa says it rides awesome as well. TR
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Truckrat wrote:I have an ''Old'' 85 F150 that is my ''Work'' truck for carrying heavier stuff if I need to and have my 57 Fridge and 64 Slick to cruise in. They will be both lowered and probably never carry anything heavy again. Their work days are over and play days are ahead.
Sounds like the MII guys you met are pretty set on that style IFS mod and wouldn't budge from it. Each to his own. Personally I would like to go the Dakota IC IFS myself if I do one. After all, it was made for trucks with truck parts. No worries to me if it isn't Ford. I know several folks who have them in this bunch and really like them. But it is also a real good possibility I would go with a 3 inch dropped axle from Sid's. Now that is keeping it simple. He has been telling me about a spring company he has been working with for custom front springs for 61-64 Slicks and 57-60 Fridges. If you ever see his 64 shop truck and like lowered trucks like I do you will see what I mean. It just looks bitchin!
Not only that but his wife Teresa says it rides awesome as well. TR
Interesting. I asked Sid via message on FB about when lowered I beams would be available. He said it was a long ways out because he was so backed up with straight axles. As long as he is backlogged on the straight axles, he has no motivation to branch out to a new product line. I don't care for the dream beams so it appears it could be years before my truck is lowered. Guess I should build my parts truck with Vic front end and rear.
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Rob the CV would be something that could be done realistically on Scarlett without too much trouble. Could use the Mustang Spoke mags on it for a nice look and some matching deeper ones on back. Some folks have used the 8.8 rearend out of an Explorer so they only need one spare.
I think before you did all that it would be nice to drive it like it is with all the new parts before diving into that. My :2cents: TR
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

I'm at the point where nothing and no one can talk me out of the crown Vic swap haha I've heard a lot of negative stuff and a good amount of positive things. I know wheel selection isn't the best and wheel fitment issues hamper a lot of guys. But I think I can work around it. Luckily for me I have a stepside so as a last resort I can extend the rear fenders I suppose. it won't be easy haha but I think I have the skills nessecary. If not then I'll go the 8.8 route. If that being said has anyone had wheel fitment problems up front running 17" I haven't heard of most swaps having this problem but each one is different I suppose.
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

17 inch wheels shouldn't be an issue, it is the backspacing
than CAN be if you run too wide of wheel. But, the CV is about
5 or more inches wider which is at least 2&1/2 inches per side
spaced farther out. Depending on tire choice and rim width I would
try to stay somewhere close to the stock sizes on the front even
if running aftermarket wheels. The ride height will be lower with the CV suspension in place and the tire will be closer to the fender lip.
I always like to see how these turn out so I can decide if I want
to do one as well. TR
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

With correct offset, the CV track width is not much wider than the original. Hub to hub measurement IS wider, so incorrect wheels will push the width out! With a very similiar high positive offset, aftermarket or original wheels for the S197 Mustangs give a lot of inexpensive choices. A simple answer for the rear is the readily available rear assembly for the '73 up F100s. It is found inches wider overall and still fits in the fenderwells even with neutral offset wheels if desired.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul