Turn signal indicator wiring

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

born4ford
United States of America

Turn signal indicator wiring

Post by born4ford »

I have conquered most of the demons in my new wiring but I have one that really confuses me (there will probably be others but I'm getting close). How do I get the turn signal indicator to indicate both left and right turns? At first I spliced both left and right together going into the bulb. That made both front turn signals come on for either left or right. Then I figured that maybe the hi beam light also served as one of the turn signal indicators so I spliced one of the turn signal leads into that and, of course, then got headlights when I used the turn signal for that side.

Right here I should explain that I am using a Kwikwire 14 circuit wiring harness that includes the flasher relay right with the fuses. There are a lot of things that a Ford diagram won't help with because Kwikwire built this harness to cover a lot of different vehicles. You can see the harness here: http://kwikwire.com/14-circuit-wire-harness/

I have a new Custom Cab dash also and the hi beam is on the left (red), turn signal on the right (green). http://dennis-carpenter.com/instrument- ... Z-10876-A/ I don't know if the new instrument panel is different in any way other than that. Both the hi beam and turn signal have the same type light socket and both sides use 1895 bulbs. This socket only has one wire for 12V input and one input for ground so if I try to combine something else I am in effect wiring the those two circuits together. The bulb is a single filament bulb. I don't see any other sort of bulb socket that came on my original harness.

I even have the1965 Ford Truck wiring diagram manual and it shows 2 turn signal indicator lights instead of the single that is in the real world (on page 7). So that's no help.

I'm thinking that there must be a different sort of bulb socket that allows input from 2 sources but keeps them separate. This would separate the left turn input from the right turn input.

Just so you know, I did a search for the answer to this problem here on SS but wasn't successful in finding an answer. How can something so little be such a big problem for me?

Julie
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Turn signal indicator wiring

Post by Toyz »

With the custom cab dash, the bulb grounds thru the opposite circuit. So, assuming you already have the two wire socket, left turn wire to one wire at socket, right turn wire to the other.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

Hi Paul,

Every socket that was on my old wiring harness was a single wire if it was a metal socket and 2 wire if it was plastic. The second wire on the plastic is to ground, right? I think I need either a 2 wire metal or a 3 wire plastic?

Julie
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Yep, use the plastic two wire socket; still uses the same single contact 1895 bulb. The old socket hopefully has the "jumper" harness attached which originally routed the separate wires to the single bulb.
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

No such luck on the jumper wire. This must be my missing link. How did the wiring go?

Julie
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Brain's fuzzy, and I don't have a panel here to verify my thoughts. I'm thinking you can just tie the wires from the socket into the new individual wires. I'm having trouble determining, if that is in fact the case, what prevents a back-feed causing the opposite circuit to light? It may be that the 2 cp bulb will not pass enough wattage to illuminate the other front signal. Might just try temporarily hooking one new turn indicator wire to the bulb contact, the other to the ground side of the socket. If that doesn't result in a feedback to the opposite circuit, all is well. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll look at the jumper harness and determine if there is something I'm missing.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Check out viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34530&p=289596&hilit=turn+signal+harness#p289596 This should the different harnesses and might be of some use.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

this is probably the easiest conversion of slick wiring

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14795
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

Got it!!!! It finally hit me when I re-read Toyz post that said "With the custom cab dash, the bulb grounds thru the opposite circuit". I was totally stuck wondering where the ground would come from if I used both wires on the socket for power input. Since the ground comes from the opposite circuit - DUH! I'm wearing my little multimeter out checking things but I would not have figured that out.

Thanks guys! It's great to have all these "big brothers" to turn to, LOL!

Julie