Need help in iowa

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Bayouboy

Need help in iowa

Post by Bayouboy »

What's up fellows? In currently working in sioux city, Iowa and I bought my first slick. Found it in a barn where it'sit's been sitting for 18 years. In working 7 days a week and can't do any work to it so I found a local guy to do it for me. Well to save to I spent a lot of money and it's still not running right. The motor is it excellent shape. I replaced everything coil,distrib.,wires,etc etc. He said he was done. So I drove her to the gas station to fill up and evening was fine. So by this time in happy and feeling good. So I decided to go cruising. About 30 minutes into my extacy filled ride it stops shifting.(3on the tree).it's stuck in one gear. So there went my excitement. So I had to drive home doing 25 while people blowing horns and sticking fingers. I popped the hood and where the rooms connect the transmission to the steering wheel is good. I can move it and feel it going into gear. I think it's something in the steering wheel. Can anyone tell me what it is?
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Need help in iowa

Post by slick4x4 »

Probably worn bushings in the shifter rods... (Not a terrible thing)
I'm a 4 spd guy... So others will tell you more

By the way
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

From K A N S A S
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

If bringing both levers at the bottom of the column to the neutral position doesn't allow it to be shifted from the column lever, the problem is likely in the column. The first/ reverse lever itself may be damaged, or it may be a shift tube failure. There is a tacked on key on the shift tube at each end which may break away. At any rate, if all linkage works while moved manually at the column; disassembly is likely required.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Bayouboy

Post by Bayouboy »

Thanks. I'll check it out when I get home
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

What condition are your front cab mounts in? If the fender to door gap gets bigger at the bottom, this is usually a sign that the cab mounts are soft, and as the cab drops, it can bind up the shift linkage.
As others have mentioned, there are a number of causes, hard to diagnose from the written word, but will give you some ides of things to check:)

James