Wiring for hazards

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

born4ford
United States of America

Wiring for hazards

Post by born4ford »

I am down to the last sticky issue with my new wiring harness. The company I bought it from offers no help with wiring the hazards, saying that there are too many configurations for them to be able to adequately offer help. So, what I did today was to make a wiring diagram of the little hazard wiring harness that came out of my truck ('65 F250). If anyone knows where the wires in the plugs should go, I might be able to make this thing work. Here is the diagram:
http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/born4 ... q.jpg.html Image

Julie
born4ford
United States of America

Re: Wiring for hazards

Post by born4ford »

I may have winnowed a bit of info from a Mustang site. As I understand it, power goes into the flasher can and out to the switch. The switch then has 3 leads that go to the front left turn signal, front right turn signal and rear brake lights. Does this make sense? It almost seems too simple. The two plastic plugs on the original harness originally went in the steering column feed to the turn signal switch but won't be needed with the after-market harness I have, of course.

Julie
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

it is pretty simple, but im not sure without seeing it how exactly to splice in the factory switch and light

born4ford wrote:The company I bought it from offers no help with wiring the hazards, saying that there are too many configurations for them to be able to adequately offer help.

translation: gee sorry we cant be bothered to do enough research before offering our product for sale.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

That's for sure, Brian. It seems that there were at least 4 ways the hazards were wired in 1965. They were an option so the dealership could add them after the sale. I did figure out how to wire my particular hazards harness to the column plug to get them to work and I'll share that here for anyone who might find themselves in my position in the future.

1) Put a connector onto the Orange/Yellow power feed so that you can bolt it to the post on the back of the cigar lighter which is constant hot.
2) Cut the 3 wires (White/Blue, Green/White and Red/Black - sometimes this is solid Red) going to the first in line plastic plug.
3) Connect White/Blue to your front right turn signal wire at the column plug (see diagram).
4) Connect Green/White to your front right turn signal wire at the column plug.
5) Connect Red/Black or solid Red to your brake switch line at the column plug.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag2 ... nejwnq.jpg

It was a good exercise for me to work my way out of this problem. The yelling you all heard tonight was my surprise that I got it right on the first try!
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

Second try on the Schematic

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

born4ford wrote:1) Put a connector onto the Orange/Yellow power feed so that you can bolt it to the post on the back of the cigar lighter which is constant hot.

just my opinion but this is not where i would hook up the power feed
i think it should be directly on the ignition switch hot feeds, this is where my factory setup is
one of my reasons being the lighter is already fused and has a smaller gauge wire to the back of the lighter
the flasher power feed does or should have an inline fuse

it is common electrical practice never to run current thru a smaller wire to a larger one and never to splice a smaller wire in between 2 larger ones as this creates a fusible link which can melt thru

:2cents:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

Good advice. With the new wiring harness, the wires are the same size. I took it to the back of the lighter because it was easily available and it shows that configuration on a '66 Mustang schematic that helped me figure out the wiring. As a side note - it took me longer to get that infernal hazard light, spring and front bezel to all line up than it did to wire the thing!
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

If the harness was specifically designed for a 65 F250, then I'd agree, they did not do enough research but if it is universal, then they are absolutely correct, quite a few different ways to wire hazzards and universal, by it's very nature means that you will probably have to figure some things out on your own.

That said, the factory shop manual has pretty good wiring diagrams. Have one of those to look at to see how Ford did it?
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

I sure did. The schematics were really important. Of course, they illustrated just one of the many ways the hazards could be wired and my hazards didn't conform to that. I got my biggest help from a '66 Mustang schematic that I found on the web. Maybe I get spoiled with Utube and all. It seems like you can find just about anything demonstrated there, how to install a new carb in your chainsaw, how to weave an old-fashioned rag rug, etc. No hazards wiring stuff that was helpful, though.
DanSanDiego2000

Post by DanSanDiego2000 »

It appeared to me that the Optional FoMoCo hazards plugged right in, inline to your existing components/harness.
At least, that's how it worked out for me.

I got the Dash Hazard Indicator, Switch, and harness all-in-one.
When I went under dash to install, I unplugged two existing connectors from each other, and plugged the Hazard Assy back into the same connectors, male to female, female to male.

Plug and Play it was.