ebay prices what are they smoking????

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Country

ebay prices what are they smoking????

Post by Country »

So I have listed some items for sale that I feel is a fair price to ford truck enthusiast like me.
Of course curiosity got the best of me and I looked on e bay to see what people were asking for price wise with parts.
Folks Im here to tell ya that is some deep BS pricing. Not that I am going to change my prices but are these guys serious and actually selling parts for these insane prices. Just a rant....hey thanks E bay dealers for trying to drive up parts prices and ruining a good
economical fun truck. :cussing:
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 240 Frame off restoration completed.
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 352 Semi daily driver gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id=285&image_id=10139
1966 Ford F100 Short Bed project
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Re: ebay prices what are they smoking????

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

It is pretty crazy, and crazier people pay those prices! Unfortunately it's unavoidable sometimes.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

time travel back 14 years
i had started selling on evilbay, i was going to a salvage yard stripping trucks and had a deal with the owner to share the profit minus the fees
i kept good records to show him so there was no issues
he was astounded that i could get $40 for a choke cable and $20 for sets of knobs
this went on for a while until i amassed a collection of my own trucks and then after evilbay changes i gave up completely and started only selling to locals and members here
my profit was less but my plan was not to get rich but to save good parts from the crusher and help others in finding parts

i also bought a lot of stuff from ebay in the early years, and auction bidding can get out of hand simply by bidders thinking hey its only another dollar, the next guy thinks the same and before you know it gets out of hand, almost like a gambling addict.
when does the bidder quit

as a seller i saw a lot of stuff dramatically rise at the very end of an auction, doubling or tripling the cost and sometimes even more.

now there are less parts to go around and those in excellent or usable condition bring way more
popularity of classic vehicles, inflation, and supply and demand are the triggers.
an item is worth what the market will bear as long as buyers are willing to pay the price
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

biggest problem is the reality show and people watch that garbage they feed you and then all of sudden the trucks with trees growing through it are worth $$$$$$$ and some of the ones selling NOS parts Are really milking it,, but I know some think we are high, Well I say got to swap meets and compare quality to cheap prices OR the biggest compare tawain JUNK Metal to real steel,, also beware of the ones building trucks in 6 months with ever shortcut you can think of then try to sell for 5 digits +
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Country

Post by Country »

Definitely appreciate what you do. Without guys like you there would be a lot less trucks rolling down the road. In my area we never find any of these trucks in a yard. Crushed and gone. I noticed a door was listed on evil bay for $800.00 .....maybe I'm missing something. If they get that price more power to them but wow.
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 240 Frame off restoration completed.
1966 Ford F100 Custom Cab - 352 Semi daily driver gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id=285&image_id=10139
1966 Ford F100 Short Bed project
born4ford
United States of America

Post by born4ford »

Hadn't been on eBay for a while but I didn't think the prices were insane, just overpriced. I checked things out after reading your post and GEEZE! I found what I thought was a windshield with chrome trim for 299.00. O.K. Not bad so I checked what it would take to ship something that big...$15???? Went back to check the listing, it was $299 for the trim ONLY! If you extrapolate that to each and every part on my truck I should expect to get $30,000 or so if I sell it, LOL.

Along those lines, has anyone had a professional evaluation done on their restored slick?
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

You have to look at the whole picture, which has to do with speculators in the antique car market. The price of these trucks have doubled in the last 10 years . If you watch the market (Craigsllist mainly) closely as I do, you will see any truck that is good and reasonable will be gone in one day. Odds are it will show up somewhere else for double the money in a short time. Used parts are another problem . 800$ for a door, is totally out of line, since nearly all Ford trucks of our years used the same doors, with some exceptions. Tom has a unique problem in his pricing, and that is cost of doing business. Swap spaces at the big meets are expensive and must be payed for far in advance , sometimes a year or better. Just the cost of being on the road buying parts is getting rougher by the year. What you are paying for with Tom and others like him is a personal service. Just be thankful someone is doing the job at any price, otherwise many of these parts would have gone to China for scrap, as many did.

Rich