Power Steering swap question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Kid
United States of America

Power Steering swap question

Post by Kid »

I am putting power steering in my 65 and when I shorten the original column can I put a U joint in to replace the rag joint and are the splines on the box universal or is the spline count different...............................Kid
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Power Steering swap question

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Yes, you can use a U-joint, yes spline count is specific to manufacture and era of box...
Opinions on which is stronger, safer rag joint or U joint will be argued in both directions...
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Most u-joints are set up to be installed on a D shaft - the D is what the cross section looks like. If you go this way, you could avoid having to weld the shaft as it and the stub in the box would just need the flat cut into them. You'd have to get a u-joint to fit the diameter of the shaft. Also put a dimple to accept the lock bolt and use locktite.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

From memory, (which is usually poor) if you grind off the swell, and remove the rag joint flange. A 1967 Ford steering shaft is 5/8" 36 spline. Or was it 11/16"? I ended up not using the later shaft, just the outer tube and lower bearing. Then as Bruce recommended a double D U joint. I guess a lot hinges on the box used and column your going to use.

So tell us more!
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Anthony
United States of America

Post by Anthony »

I just installed a 73 F350 2WD box on my 76 chassis under my 66... did this to get rid of the hydraulic power assist junk... I used the U joint at the base of the column and kept the rag joint at the box... made the shaft between the column and box out of 2 and make my own drag link with ball joints and a piece of round stock.. all of this with the help of my buddy Jay.. he is awesome at this stuff..
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Personally, I would not consider welding a steering shaft, although many do. I also would not consider cutting a flat on the steering box input shaft. U-joints are easily obtained with splines to match those on the input shaft; with a "D" arrangement on the other (column) end with a matching "flat" ground into the shaft. If going with the Bendix box, you may find no modification is needed, if using the "Ford" design; easy solution is to utilize the matching column if available.
:2cents:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul