Stalling out on hills

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

CraigM

Stalling out on hills

Post by CraigM »

Need some help. I'm having a problem with my '65 stalling out on hills. When I come to a stop it only takes about 8-10 seconds for it to stumble and die. It will not restart on the hill but if I coast it down to level ground it will restart with a little coaxing. If I'm facing down the hill there's no problems. I can pop it in reverse and it has plenty of power to climb the hill in reverse.

Since discovering this I pulled and cleaned the tank, plumbed new lines, tried 2 new fuel pumps/filters, and set the floats on my newish Edelbrock carb to the recommended specs. Although it probably doesn't matter, I will also mention that the whole truck has been completely rewired post-stalling, too.

I finally took it for a test drive today after doing all the above mentioned work and it stalled on me just like it had before.

This time I noticed (because I have a working oil pressure gauge now) right as it started stumbling, the oil pressure gauge started dropping and hit close to the zero mark just as it died.
It's always started and idled just fine and seems to get down the road ok although it's always felt a little gutless.

Any ideas where to go from here? Engine is an '84 300 w/Duraspark 2 ignition and 4bbl Edelbrock 500cfm carb on a Clifford intake if that matters.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Stalling out on hills

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I'm looking for simple and easy fix here. Check engine to frame grounds and body to frame grounds. Even better add an extra of each. Loss of ground could affect the oil pressure gauge and the duraspark.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

After you verify the grounds are good look at your battery level and starter solenoid. If the battery leaked it could be losing contact internally when tilted, dumping the ignition load on the alternator. The solenoid could be breaking down under ignition load as well.
Chris
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

How big of an incline are you talking about? Float level could be too high leading to flooding. Also verify that your carb is level with the truck on level ground. I had a later model transmission support in my truck and this caused my carb to sit at an angle.