Carb and Exhaust Setup

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Aubrey3
United States of America

Carb and Exhaust Setup

Post by Aubrey3 »

Wondering if anyone has run this setup and how it performs.

I have a '66 with the 352 with stock manifolds and dual exhaust. It has a 2 barrel that is almost stock.

I'm thinking of maybe running a 2 barrel from a '69 Torino or a '67 Galaxie 500 for the larger bore size, going to shorty headers and sticking with a dual exhaust. Would this open up any potential in the engine or is it all hot air and pipe dreams?
1966 F250 2wd V8 Auto Camper Special Custom Cab
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Carb and Exhaust Setup

Post by Toyz »

The combo you are mentioning will make a small increase in many cases. It is not a very definitive "seat of the pants" difference since it also tends to slightly decrease low end torque in favor of higher rpm performance.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Aubrey3
United States of America

Post by Aubrey3 »

What would improve low end?
I guess I'm looking for more middle of the road setup for improvement. Yeah, have cake and eat it too.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Get the 2v intake also to gain low end. With your large port 66 intake and larger carb it will hurt miliage and low end. If the Torino is a premium fuel your best bet would be the whole engine. 9.1:1 with the dished pistons and small chambers. As stock the low end, torque and mileage will be better. With 3.00 to 3.50 gears it will be a middle of the road performer.
Chris
Aubrey3
United States of America

Post by Aubrey3 »

I currently have the 2100 2BBL with 2BBL intake. I don't have a 4BBL or 'large' intake. That Torino carb is a 2150 with slightly larger bores.
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Concerning ordinary FEs, all 2 & 4v intakes 66 and older have the same large intake ports. The exception was the 66 C6AE-G GT intake, it had the 67 and up small intake ports.
Chris
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Increasing compression is a good way to "slightly" increase torque and fuel economy. The caveat on this is keeping the ratio compatible with the grade of fuel being run. Any needed reduction in timing, etc., will negate any gains from a slight compression increase. There are a myriad of "hacks" for slight improvements on FE's.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

chris401 wrote:Concerning ordinary FEs, all 2 & 4v intakes 66 and older have the same large intake ports. The exception was the 66 C6AE-G GT intake, it had the 67 and up small intake ports.
Hi Chris,

Do you know if the FoMoCo FE 4V cast-iron intake manifold C7AE-9425-E (also known as the "S" intake) had large or small ports?

BarnieTrk
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

BarnieTrk wrote:
chris401 wrote:Concerning ordinary FEs, all 2 & 4v intakes 66 and older have the same large intake ports. The exception was the 66 C6AE-G GT intake, it had the 67 and up small intake ports.
Hi Chris,

Do you know if the FoMoCo FE 4V cast-iron intake manifold C7AE-9425-E (also known as the "S" intake) had large or small ports?

BarnieTrk
They are the smaller. In person I cant see any difference in the S intakes other than casting identification.
Some pictures and measurements:
http://www.mustangtek.com/FordIntake.html
http://www.fordfe.info/index.html
Chris
BarnieTrk

Post by BarnieTrk »

Thanks for the info, Chris. :thumright:

-- BarnieTrk