Hydroboost

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

MN66
United States of America

Hydroboost

Post by MN66 »

Has anyone done a hydroboost install on a slick? I've been reading quite a bit about it, and I'm going to give it a shot. I'm not sure I like the looks of the big GM master cylinder that came with it, but at least the ports are on the correct side. I may look for the older style MC

I was able to cut down the mounting bracket to fit my firewall, just need to drill the holes and clearance the firewall opening to allow the retaining nut to fit inside. The length of the pushrod seems to be slightly long, but really close. I should be able to use shims to get it perfect.

I plan to use a Saginaw PS pump and a Borgeson mounting bracket for the FE. One issue I've read about this setup is that the Saginaw pump outlet is pretty close to the oil filter on our vertically mounted truck filters. I think there would be enough room to fit a banjo connector in that space. Has anyone used a Sag pump on their FE powered truck?

If anyone has done a hydroboost install, I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad.

Regards,
Corey
hydroboost.png
hydroboost.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 649 times
Last edited by MN66 on June 30, 2016, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1966 F250 LWB
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Re: Hydroboost

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I'M learning right with you. You probably already know that any PS pump will work, some better than others.... and rock crawlers like aftermarket pumps (race pumps, sprint car etc.) because they are compact, adjustable for pressure, flow rate and have a remote reservoir....

I'm installing a hydroboost with a cummins, and a manual steering box.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

GM was not the only one that used hydroboost, some mid seventies T-birds & Lincolns used hydroboost, and some of the newer Mustangs use hydroboost too.

James
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

jamesdfo wrote:GM was not the only one that used hydroboost, some mid seventies T-birds & Lincolns used hydroboost, and some of the newer Mustangs use hydroboost too.

James
Thanks James,
That's true, but some of the earlier versions had a spring loaded accumulator rather than a nitrogen gas based unit. I opted for a later model from a 2004 Silverado due to price and availability.

Here's the most complete list of Hydroboost master cylinder donor vehicles that I found. The most common donor vehicles for our trucks seem to be the late 90's Super Duty and late 90's Astro Vans.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-har ... nfo-4.html
1966 F250 LWB
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

CN66: I once owned a '79 Silverado SWB (shhhh, don't tell onyone!!) that started life with a 5.7L diesel engine, when I got it, it had already been converted to SBC, but because of the diesel, it had the hydroboost brakes. When it was running, it had AWESOME brakes, but one day, I ran the first tank dry, and it quit (while rolling in stop & go traffic) WELL, I was basically standing up, pushing on the brake pedal, and pulling myself down using the steering wheel to get it stopped :shock: Managed to get it stopped, but just barely, but learned a couple valuable lessons that day:)

James
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

That is another reason in favor of the later (bulky) setups. My non-self-motivated powderstrokes seem to hold pressure quite well, even after extended storage! The pumps on the early GM's were also less than ideal; "spirited" driving sometimes resulted in, err, unusual occurrences.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

whats up with the photo-shopped snakes?

I saw the photo without that the first time i read this topic and this time I am sure i peed my pants and broke my computer due to the snakes..
thanks... i'll send you a bill of $1500 for the computer....
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Sorry about the snake - someone thought they saw one in the original photo (brake lines?) so I thought I'd better add one. He must have deleted his post before I added the snake, I don't see it anymore.
1966 F250 LWB
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

Yep lot of options with Hydro boost..

http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t ... ro#p266857

Do a search with "Hydro" lots of pages come up. Hopefully this is helpful for you. I love my hydro on both my trucks. :)
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html