Stock steel wheel offset?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

troymn
United States of America

Stock steel wheel offset?

Post by troymn »

Hi! Can anyone tell me the stock steel wheel offsets on say 1974 stock wheels and also what they are on 1964 "innes"?

Long story short, I have a 66 f100 with 74 spindles and disk brakes. Cut half a coil and had it aligned (and rechecked) by a guy that has been doing this for 40+ years. I run 1964 "innes" that came off my old 64, and have to run spacers to clear the calipers. It is perfectly aliened but my tire on the drivers side is wearing way more on the outer edge then any other tires. He said it could be from cornering do to the offset on the rims or running the 74 spindles.??.. Thanks guys!
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Stock steel wheel offset?

Post by Toyz »

I would want to see the exact alignment readings as found. If the wheels are the same side to side, with no worn parts, there should be little difference in wear from one to another.. Spacers will have the effect of negative offset (and negative camber), by pushing the wheel centerline outward. With twin beams this is likely to cause wear on the inside tread rather than outer. With the cut coils, the beams often require bending for proper camber. If the readings show positive camber in excess of 3/8 degree on the drivers wheel, this is likely due to incorrect camber. There should be be less than 3/8 degree camber difference from one reading to the other. , with the driver's generally ideally set slightly higher to counter road crown. A belted tire - bias or radial may wear due to a "slipped" belt. A good alignment technician should catch that. My guess is that the readings fell close to Ford's wide range os specs and no bending was done. Incorrect toe may favor one wheel over the other, but the "feathering" should be obvious on both. I avoided answering your offset query, there were many wheel variations ranging from zero to 1/2" positive offset. The spacers, as stated, change the effective offset, adding to the effect of the cut coils; to move toward more negative camber. Again, if measured according to proper procedure, then aligned, assuming no excessive looseness; those factors will be largely corrected by a proper alignment.
Sorry for such a long-winded answer; your technician should be aware of all these factors, and been able to pinpoint the exact problem, IMO. He may be relying on the "ragged edge " of allowable readings in order to avoid bending the beams, for which he may have neither equipment or knowledge.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
troymn
United States of America

Post by troymn »

Thanks for the reply! He did have to bend the beam and said it was spot on.... I know the guy likes things being perfect but I'm with you thinking that it is alignment. Everything with the steering is new and good. Maybe I should get an other opinion on the alignment.
tjm73

Post by tjm73 »

I found an offset spec on a technical drawing for 67-72 F100's on the fordification forum. It was spec'd at 0.44". I took it to mean +0.44". I would hazard a guess that the wheels are the same. Could be wrong.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

If you can give me the the five digit stamped number from one of the wheels, I can likely tell you the exact offset, although I believe the greater problem lies elsewhere. Might also ask if the technician recalls the KPI, if checked. How thick are your spacers? Depending partially on the tire width, the KPI may be well inside of the tire pattern area, causing "scrub", although, again, with excellent alignment, this should be only a little less noticeable on the passenger wheel. Is the wear tapering toward the tire center,or "feathering" and confined to the edge? The '74 suspension is somewhat wider than the '66, so the technician may be correct in thinking this is a matter of "stackup of tolerances" between components. If that proves to be the case, my recommendation would be replacing the front wheels with some aftermarket innie wheels designed to center the tires in line with the extended kingpin line. This is a not-uncommon situation with suspension modifications, and the reason I insist strongly that correct wheel effective offsets be maintained.
Lengthy answer again, hope it helps!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
troymn
United States of America

Post by troymn »

Thanks again for the info. They are 1/4'' spacers. The wear seems to be just the outside edge and wears it down to s sharp squared off edge.