Steering column

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

62bigwindow
United States of America

Steering column

Post by 62bigwindow »

Other than the column tube is there any difference between a 3 speed and floor shift steering column. I found a complete assembly that is 3 on the tree and I have a 4 speed column. Can I just pull the thing apart and put the 4 speed tube together with the 3 speed "guts"? Also is the column different on a 64?
Every day above ground is a good one
spstack

Re: Steering column

Post by spstack »

61 to 64 are the same 65 and 66 are different the shift tubes are different and the whole column is shorter later columns use a nylon spacers and earlier ones use steel .shift tubes are cut to size and fitted getting the right size is a trial and fit process .
1234 sps
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

My question is "what do you wish to gain?" I can't picture any reason not to simply rebuild your non-remote ( floor shift) column if is worn. You have no linkage to be concerned with, so why not just rebuild the original? You can remove and re-use the upper bushing , etc. from the three speed application, but would be better served to just replace those wear parts, consisting of upper bushing and spring, rather than swapping. You will want to retain your non-remote column bowl anyway. No worries as to shift tube, since your four speed application uses neither tube nor shift bowl. The only other wear parts are associated with the integral steering shaft and the steering box itself.
Hopefully, I'm not missing something here; if your steering box is worn , the box itself requires rebuild or replacement.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

I don't have a column at all. I was going to use CPP's power steering box but changed my mind. All I have is a 4 speed tube. No box,shaft,etc. The 3 on the tree columns are plentiful and I'm putting in a c4 with floor shift. That's why I'm interested in the parts compatability. If I can take a three on the tree column assembly and convert it to a 4 speed assembly with little trouble I figured it would be worth it.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

The tube is not a direct swap but it should be pretty easy to make it work. The collar is located on the tube differently.

See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10478&p=91403&hilit ... als#p91403
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

The short answer is YES.

You will need a four speed collar,
or a modified three speed collar (anchored to turn signal base).
Gut the collar of all shifting parts
And PC7, JB weld for mounting,
Long screws, use your imagination.
Seen a few done that way.

Mount an original steering box with shaft .
Drop your four speed tube with lower seal over shaft.
Install turn signal base with lower collar attached, to the tube.
Install turn signal switch assembly, route wiring down tube.
Bearing , cone/wedge, spring
Steering wheel , retaining nut
Horn spring , horn button.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

Thanks.
62bigwindow
United States of America

Post by 62bigwindow »

Is the box out of a F250 the same as an F100? I found a 62 F250 with a 4 speed that has the parts I will need. I hope so because he only wants $45 for the whole assembly, steering wheel to pitman arm.