C6 transmission help

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RustNdust65
United States of America

C6 transmission help

Post by RustNdust65 »

Alright I have a question and hoping that someone can help me out here. Is there a physical size difference between a big block bolt pattern c6 and a small block? I can't seem to find anything about the overall size difference other then the obvious bolt pattern dimensions.
64 f100

Re: C6 transmission help

Post by 64 f100 »

Not certain what you are asking for in the way of dimensions, but the bolt pattern is different between all three different engine types in the V8 family. Windsors , Clevelands , and the 300 six have the same pattern. FE's are different , then you have the 385 series, 351 and 400 M, 429/460. As to length, transmission mounting to cross support I could not tell you. There are differences in length on some also. From what I remember trucks/vans are shorter on some, maybe not all. I do have a Hollander that may or may not give me the information your asking for, if I knew the specifics of what your trying to find out. Hollanders were the junkyard bible and were a good source of information, but in later years started producing different books for different parts of the cars and trucks. Early ones were much better in some ways, as those had feedback from the salvage yards and this info was sometimes listed in the books.
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus
RustNdust65
United States of America

Re: C6 transmission help

Post by RustNdust65 »

Sorry I didn't really clarify what I meant. It is to my understanding that there are theee variations of the c6 one that bolts up to a non FE big block, one to an FE and the last one bolts to a Windsor small block. If I'm wrong please correct me. Besides the bolt pattern on the bell housing is there a difference? I have a big block bolt pattern (351m/400) c6 and I'm planing on running a small block Windsor. Will the small block c6 be the same size as the one I have now or do I need to relocate my trans crossmember and change drive shafts?