Drive train swap

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

66redrocket

Drive train swap

Post by 66redrocket »

OK I have a roller 66 f100 4x4. Truck started with 352 fe, with the Borg warner 4 speed with granny low and a Dana 21 transfer. After looking at the nice pitted transfer gears and low parts availibilty, motor is ripped out, trans is next. It got me thinking, is there a relativly easy (yes I know nothings easy when doing this) whole drive line ,just engine to transfer, swap that would lend itself to a little more ponies under the hood. I've always loved the 302 and its huge aftermarket, but I lack knowledge in the trans and transfer department. I would love to keep it with a manual trans and transfer case. Any ideas on donor vehicles to look for.
RustNdust65
United States of America

Re: Drive train swap

Post by RustNdust65 »

Although the 302 is a widely available engine I don't think it will suit you to well. I don't think it will make enough power with out throwing a good amount of money into it. Not saying it hasn't been done but as far as dropping in a drive train and going I'd say 390 with an NP-205. If you search on the fordication forums there are a lot of guys doing all kinds of swaps from Cummins to small blocks. A lot of good info. At the very least check out some mid 70's 4x4 f100's they are pretty available too and plenty of parts and options to choose from
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

I think it depends a lot on what you will use the truck for. My 74 F250 had a 360 4 spd. I loved it the way it came, in 2WD I could cruise on the highway and get 17 MPG. I low 4 WD I dragged a 10+ ton loaded big truck back to the shop without raising a sweat. If the 4WD is just for the cool factor, anything will work. The trucks were originally built for low end torque and work.
Eallen66
United States of America

Post by Eallen66 »

The 302 is an easy motor to mod for good power and loves rpms which is great for low gears. My sons 64' with the 302/5-swap we did is a blast with 3.89 gears and eats up 6000 rpm without thinking about it. Any motor 86+ from mustangs and similar era for trucks are roller motors & a cheap score. Gt-40 heads are the best flowing factory heads and will take standard headers from a 70's truck in a slick. While it is not the beast of my other sons 351 Cleveland with a sizable cam it is a fraction of the cost to out fit.

You can check oit our 302/ 5-speed swap here. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=32284
Last edited by Eallen66 on July 26, 2016, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjm73

Post by tjm73 »

Almost any transmission/transfer case can be bolted to the 302. An NP435 with a NP205/203 doubler transfer case will bolt directly to it. You could never break it.

This super basic 302 makes 350 ft-lbs. Even better it made over 325 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm. It's better than the original 352.

http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=53.0