Dropped spindles

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

robertrpeak

Dropped spindles

Post by robertrpeak »

Just wondering why no one has made dropped spindles for our straight axles.... Any guess's?? On another note, I saw where someone had taken dropped spindles from an independent front susp. and adapted them to the straight axle!! They had what looked like some sort of spacer on top of the axle along with a longer king pin. Comments etc welcome.

Robert
tjm73

Re: Dropped spindles

Post by tjm73 »

My guess would be the market is not big enough for the engineering investment.
lineman1984
United States of America

Post by lineman1984 »

AGREED! I upgraded my front drums to disks on my twin I beam 66. The disk brake spindles were from a 72 F100. Would have been great to install drop spindles during the upgrade! Spindles would definitely be cheaper than the drop I beams on my truck.
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

My $0.02

Not to say that they couldn't be designed and built but I think there would be some potential inherent issues with 'dropped' spindles for most King pin type spindle applications. The typical king pin spindle design has a bushing at the top, a bushing at the bottom and the spindle 'snout' somewhere in between (most likely at or near centered). If you raise the snout to achieve the 'dropped' effect, it will no longer be located between the bushings but instead is above both bushings which will change the loading on the bushings and may cause severe wear. Also, the top portion of the dropped spindle(above the top bushing) will need to be designed to account for the cantilevered effect it is now positioned in which could require a thicker structure etc and thus impact track width etc.

Again - just my thoughts on the subject.......
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan