C6 help needed

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

robertrpeak

C6 help needed

Post by robertrpeak »

Having trouble with my manual shifting with the shifter, will not go from drive to neutral with engine running, would the fact that I'm not using the kickdown and not knowing where to position the KD lever have anything to do with the way it shifts. The picture shows it tied back, {PO said this is what he was told to do with it, he used it in a drag car,} I would just experiment with it but I'm worried I might make things worse. Any input would be very helpful. I asked over on the Ford trans forum with no answers.

Robert
tjm73

Re: C6 help needed

Post by tjm73 »

From what I recall the kick down is needed for the C4 or C6 to work correctly, unless it has a full manual valve body.
jalipke1124
United States of America

Post by jalipke1124 »

I have a C6 in my 63, the kickdown lever is sitting there in the neutral position not hooked to anything and it shifts fine. Cut the zip tie and see if it works better.
Jim
63 F100 Long bed 351M/C6
64 F100 Long bed
78 F250 4X4
95 F350 4Door Dually
03 Expedition
robertrpeak

Post by robertrpeak »

jalipke1124 wrote:I have a C6 in my 63, the kickdown lever is sitting there in the neutral position not hooked to anything and it shifts fine. Cut the zip tie and see if it works better.

Yep, thats my next move, just wanted to make sure I'm not going to tear anything up. Thanks

Robert
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

The kick-down might be part of your problem, especially with a high idle speed. I have tied them in the past in the WOT position. This tends to maximize pressures and shift points; but for my use, that is preferable to chancing failure due to reduced pressure from the default minimum position with the linkage dis-connected. Correct answer is to hook up and adjust linkage, or swap to cable type if needed.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
robertrpeak

Post by robertrpeak »

Thanks Paul, sounds like the best advise yet. Just have to come up with the linkage. Its pretty tight between the back of the intake and the firewall.

Robert