Clutch fork falling out

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gnant

Clutch fork falling out

Post by Gnant »

Well, it has been a few years since I logged on, but the 65 is now going to my 21 year old son.

We recently had a clutch pedal break trying to get it road worthy, and when putting in the new one, the clutch fork now seems to be falling out of the gear box. I have looked and I think I need an anti rattle spring. My problem is I can find no further information on how to install or where it even goes. Anyone able to help with this?

I have a 1965, 240 with a three speed.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." --- Will Rogers
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Re: Clutch fork falling out

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

long spring #7523 bottom center

img]http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... pedals.jpg[/img]
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
robertrpeak

Post by robertrpeak »

picture not showing for me.

Robert
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

I think you are referring to the small "wire" spring that retains the clutch fork to the pivot inside the bell housing.

I do not have a picture at hand but I am pretty sure it attaches through the two small holes in the clutch fork and then around a protrusion on the pivot piece inside the bell housing.

If I can find a picture or illustration, I will try to attach it.

The picture at this link below is for the actual pivot. The "wire" spring is used to retain the fork to this piece and still allow it to pivot.

http://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/Ima ... 10_l_n.jpg
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
1966 F-100 Shortbed CC/Ranger
2010 Mustang GT Convertible
2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

ICEMAN6166 wrote:long spring #7523 bottom center

fixed that pic.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

ICE: I think you are referring to the wrong spring in your picture.

Do you have an exploded view of the bell housing / clutch fork pivot / clutch fork assembly?

I think that is where the missing clip/spring is at.
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
Gnant

Post by Gnant »

Thanks guys, and yes, I am looking to see how the small spring on the clutch fork attaches to the pivot. Does it go behind the pivot? Now that I have pulled the boot off, I can see much better inside the clutch fork opening. My pivot looks riveted on, so it must be original.

And I see the two small holes in the clutch fork for the spring to go into. I just don't know which way it faces or whether it goes behind the pivot or not.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." --- Will Rogers
MY OL 66
United States of America

Post by MY OL 66 »

Gnant wrote:Thanks guys, and yes, I am looking to see how the small spring on the clutch fork attaches to the pivot. Does it go behind the pivot? Now that I have pulled the boot off, I can see much better inside the clutch fork opening. My pivot looks riveted on, so it must be original.

And I see the two small holes in the clutch fork for the spring to go into. I just don't know which way it faces or whether it goes behind the pivot or not.
Yes, the original pivots are riveted to the bell housing.

The fork spring is placed on the "concave" side of the clutch fork (the same side that faces the pivot) and the "arched" center of the spring is snapped over the pivot (most probably behind it based on your description above) and retained either by recesses on the edges of the pivot or by a tang in the middle of the pivot.

I hope this makes sense to you. PM me if you need a better description or to talk through it.
Steve F
1965 Mustang Coupe
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I do not know what the bell on a 65 240 looks like, that being said the fork should go over the pivot and the spring should push on the back side of the pivot,to hold the fork in place.
The same set up on a 61, has a screw in pivot on the bell, and a flat, fork shaped spring riveted on to the clutch fork, that holds them together.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Gnant

Post by Gnant »

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Spring is ordered. Will conclude the post with a pic when it arrives.

Gnant

Post by Gnant »

Hey everyone, I have been really struggling getting the anti rattle spring installed on the clutchfork. I can't seem to get it over the pivot. Do I need to drop the gearbox so I have access to it?