Epoxy primer question

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

shipwrecked
United States of America

Epoxy primer question

Post by shipwrecked »

I'm still blasting away as much as I can- found out today I am not allowed to stay in my current job- I am required to transfer to a currently unknown location by next summer.

Question is- how long can I leave a piece in epoxy when it is exposed to the elements? I am about to just go full bore and blast all the pieces, put them in epoxy and dedicate my weekends to doing bodywork and paint. I have about 10 months before the moving trucks will be in my driveway.

:|
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
grump

Re: Epoxy primer question

Post by grump »

April, contact the manufacturer of whatever brand you're using and ask them. I believe as long as you don't sand it and break the surface you should be okay. I'm guessing every manufacturer could be a little different.
theastronaut

Post by theastronaut »

Epoxy isn't meant to be a top coat so it will break down with UV exposure. A car cover would work to protect it if it has to sit outside.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Put a coat of paint on the pieces right after you put on the primer. That way you are covered. I know you will be wasting paint which equals money, but it is the best way to preserve what you've already done. Nothing worse than having to go back and redo everything. Epoxy primer is great stuff , but it is porous like all primers. Don't know the brand of paint your using, but PPG says you will get a bond to the primer if the paint is applied within so many hours. Some of the body work will actually be helped by having paint on the parts. Block sanding with a spray on paint to show up dings is a standard practice. In the case of major damage where you will have to do dolly and hammer work and do some filling, you will need to take the paint down to metal or at least rough it up with course sandpaper to make sure the filler stays put. Ten months, you've got a lot of work to do in a short time.
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

At your rate of progress, I'd expect you be be done before the transfer. As to the primer, I had my hood painted in epoxy for over a year outside and exposed and no worse for the wear. Yes, if the sun hits it for too long, it might degrade. If the parts are stored out of direct sunlight they should last quite a while.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Got one cab in epoxy setting fully exposed between two salty bays in this Gulf Coast environment. It's been well over a year with no noticable deterioration. It was done in Shopline.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Lots of good advice here April! Epoxy primer is great stuff
and a lot more durable than your older style lacquer primer.
If you have any paint to topcoat your parts with as was mentioned previously, it would make a good basecoat for a final topcoat later on.
Especially if it is close to the same color you plan to use. Just don't try
to use enamels and lacquers together. That can go badly. TR