F350's and BUDD wheels.

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ThinLizzy13
United States of America

F350's and BUDD wheels.

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I was driving through some farming country the other day and saw an old dually '65 flatbed sitting out in the weeds (looked like an f350). What caught my eye about it was that I could've swore it had three hand holes on the rims. I did some searching on the forums here about the early BUDD type tubeless rims.
I'm just kind of looking for confirmation here but am I correct in saying that BUDD rims are all 17.5" and have 3 handholes? And have 72190 stamped on them?
Also are there other types of tubeless rims that may have come on a 65 F350?
I need another project about as bad as I need my house to catch fire, but if it has tubeless rims on it I might just try to find the owner...
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Mr. Jones

Re: F350's and BUDD wheels.

Post by Mr. Jones »

Brandon,
I've been driving my 350 since 1985,every wheel I've used has a tube. My Budds are all 16",with six handholds.I think the three hole were Dodge,and I've only run into them once.
I don't think you'll ever find a tubeless six hole dualy wheel,right now I'm running 7:50/16's bias-ply its a nice smooth ride...with tubes
Also you're goin hear about how these wheels are goin kill you,well I mounted six of them a month ago out on my patio.I'm still here they are not split rims,they have a lock ring and done properly it's a simple operation...
How did the move go for you and the family?
Dan
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I do my own split rings, also; but I will say, if you are not using something to retain them (chain, front end loader, cage, etc).; you are flirting with disaster! The ".5" wheels. 19.5" dually, 17.5single and dual, were all tubeless, and common not only to the F and P series Fords, but Studebaker, Dodge and International as well. Early on in my "career", I contracted with a major utility to change out the split ring wheels for the ".5" tubeless across the board. So, even nearly 50 years ago, it was getting somewhat hard to find a road service company willing to service the ring type wheels. Shortly after, when the government stepped in with safety requirements, it became harder yet!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the tubeless Budds are near impossible to locate.

I have an old "safety ring" type of the split rim that came on my '67. Most of the things I read on forums talk about how dangerous they are. I wouldn't mind learning how to change them, just so I know.

Dan- the move went pretty seamlessly. The wife and I are in the process of buying a house down here. Lots of yard to park old trucks :mrgreen:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Some good utube video's out there.