No Start Red Blue Wire

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Aubrey3
United States of America

No Start Red Blue Wire

Post by Aubrey3 »

I have no start. Dead nothing. Got a couple of questions.

Battery is good. Power in the On position is good. I switched the Run and Ignition wires at the solenoid and the engine cranks. So I'm not getting power on the red/blue wire that energizes the solenoid to crank. The bulkhead connector is solid (although could be the fault).

How do you get the ignition out of the dash?
Is there a fuse on the Start red/blue wire?
Is there something other than the ignition, the wire run and the bulk head connector that I should check?
1966 F250 2wd V8 Auto Camper Special Custom Cab
Toyz
United States of America

Re: No Start Red Blue Wire

Post by Toyz »

You need to remove key cylinder to remove switch. There is a small hole in the face of the cylinder. Turn key to accessory position and use a straightened paper clip, etc., to push in on the retainer thru that small hole while continuing to twist key counter-clockwise. Pull slightly on the key while turning, cylinder should pull out. With cylinder removed, a counter-clockwise movement on the switch while pushing toward the dash and holding the bezel will unseat the switch. There is no fuse in the red/blue starter wire circuit; if an automatic, the neutral safety switch may be the problem. Try wiggling the shifter in both park and neutral with key held to start position. If a manual, that red/blue wire runs direct from switch thru bulkhead connector to starter relay., so you are likely looking for a break or other bad connection in that circuit. A test lamp check should reveal any problem since it takes fairly low amperage to activate the starter relay.
Good luck, and post if more info is needed!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Aubrey, sometimes taking this key tumbler out, and the push and twist aspect of the switch retainer goes easy.. Sometimes it feels like you are trying to do a Rubiks Cube ! So hang in there ! ;)
Aubrey3
United States of America

Post by Aubrey3 »

Great. Thank you for the detail. Should be easy enough to pull it if I need to in the future.

Found the issue. Yes, automatic. Been a long week I guess. Completely spaced chucking it in to Park. It takes a good movement to get it there for the neutral switch.
1966 F250 2wd V8 Auto Camper Special Custom Cab