motor whistle

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jercasche
United States of America

motor whistle

Post by jercasche »

I just finished the swap of my 2bbl carb to a 4 bbl carb and intake. My engine starts whistling after about 1 min of running and does not stop. I think it may be the square hole spacer since my carb and intake both have 4 holes. The spacer has a needed vac port for my pcv valve. Could this be the whistle?
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
chris401
United States of America

Re: motor whistle

Post by chris401 »

Holley? Does the whistle quiet down just off idle or more throttle?
Chris
jercasche
United States of America

Post by jercasche »

Yes it's a Holley. I changed to the proper spacer with 4 holes and the whistle got quieter. It seems like it runs about a minute and then starts. It could possibly be my exhaust manifold on the passenger side.
1964 F-100 SWB, 292,
IC front suspension
No-Limit Fatbar 4 link
full rewire complete
T-5 transmission
Front Tilt Hood
chris401
United States of America

Post by chris401 »

Holleys are known to develop vacuum leaks between base plate and main body. You can block off the rear idle channel s with a couple of set screws. If your whistle goes away or gets quiet in the rainy or humid conditions it may be the PCV port in the center. Rounding the edges off with a file should fix it. Stack your spacer and carb together and see if any gasket is smaller than the bore. That can cause a whistle also.

I had a one off problem once when I mated a 600 base plate to a 390 body. The transition around the edges of the smaller bore whistled it's worst in dry weather. Found another 390 base plate to match the main body and the whistle stopped.
Chris
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

You can carefully spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb while idling to see if its a leak. If the sound changes or engine speeds up, you have a leak. What's the vacuum reading at the manifold?