Wipers won't turn off

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

tomsrod
United States of America

Wipers won't turn off

Post by tomsrod »

I did a search of wiper problems and didn't find an answer to my problem. The wipers on my two speed setup won't shut off so I simply unplug the switch. I got caught in the rain two weeks ago so I had to pull over and plug thee switch back in. Naturally, two minutes later the rain stopped so I had to pull over again and unplug them.

I've replaced the switch and still the same issue. At the switch, I have a yellow wire that goes to the ignition switch and then red, black and green wires that go to the wiper motor. The red, black and green wires from the switch are hard wired into the wiper motor, no plug ins. When the wipers are plugged in and working, low and high speed both work. The operation of the wipers is slow and sloppy and the park function apparently isn't working. The motor has C1TT-17503- D (I think it's D) and American Bosch printed on it.

I can't find a ground wire anywhere, but suspect it is a grounding problem. Is there an external ground wire I'm missing or is the park function not working?

Pat
Teros292
Finland

Re: Wipers won't turn off

Post by Teros292 »

Problem could be in motors park switch which is inside the motor. I had to once fix that to make it stop correctly. My wiper motor did stop but just anywhere. Maybe yours is jammed always on.
Tero from Finland
61 F-100 Unibody SWB
61 F-600
56 Country Sedan
55 F-620
52 Mercury Monterey 4D
http://www.dlc.fi/~teros
http://www.y-block.info
http://www.hollowheads.net
http://www.fordnationals.net
bossford65
United States of America

Post by bossford65 »

It might be the two 12 volt sourse's are revirsed. One is a constant 12 volt the other is a switched 12 volt. The constant 12 volt goes to the park switch. Hope this helps.
Tech

Post by Tech »

In normal operation the motor continues to run until it finds the park switch (internal to the motor assy). Your switch isnt getting flipped so it never parks.
Sometimes they just need a cleanup and re-grease or possibly a JB Weld repair to a worn surface.
The good news is the motor still runs and the gears still work.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I had the same problem with my LTL. The problem was in the park circuit of the motor. Take the motor apart and adjust the contacts in the park switch.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

What Michelle said! Depending on the origin of the motor, it may not require dis-assembly to adjust.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

I pulled the wiper motor today and noted the cover didn't look at all like the one in my shop manual - round cover versus oval cover in the manual. It does have a cover that has an arrow pointing to the left and says ret and arrow to the right that says adv (I presume retard and advance). No mention of that in the shop manual either and not sure how to adjust either way. The two copper contacts under the round shaped cover was all gunked up and the two brass tabs were gunked up too. Lots of black grease in there also.

I have no idea about adjusting the park switch or even what it looks like since it is so different from my manual. I don't know if I have an incorrect motor someone swapped or my manual has a diagram from an older truck. Ideas? Thanks.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Post a picture of your motor.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

Thanks Michelle. The first photo sorta shows the ret-----adv arrow. I did try to run it again after my "cleaning" and now it doesn't work at all. I do get 12 volts from the green wire. Not sure what the small yellow wire is to the motor itself. I think this may be a replacement motor from a previous owner and possibly from a different year/model truck as it had washer marks on the mount that were larger than the current bolts. Pat
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I am not familiar with that motor but I do have a question. On the third picture down where it shows the brush block and the brushers. Does the outer yellow ring move? If it does try moving it in one direction and if that does no good try moving it the other way. I am only guessing but that could be the parking circuit. The one on my LTL was totally different so I am guessing here but that is the only possibility I see from here. I do not have access to a wiring diagram here so I can't help you on the wiring. I will be back home in about a month and they I will have access to wiring diagrams from several different model trucks as well as manuals from several different trucks and may be then we can figure this out. That motor looks sort of like a wiper motor that was on a 56 Ford truck I once had.
Michelle

tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

Michelle, you are on the right track. Some progress today. If you look at photos #4 and #5, you'll see a small rectangular tab. This tab rotates the round circuit board with the red, green, black and yellow wires left and right in the direction of the arrows..... ret and adv. When I bench tested the motor and rotated the circuit board, the output arm rotated and clicked once per rotation at a different point depending on where the circuit board was rotated.... about 2 o'clock for adv and 4 o'clock for ret. So that must be the park setting adjustment.
However, the down side, the output arm kept rotating no matter where the circuit board was adjusted and this happens when the switch is turned off. The motor runs in the same speed when the switch is off and at the low setting. It does run faster at the high setting. This is a new switch.

I did learn the motor is grounded to the underside of the dash through the bracket and not a ground wire as I first thought.

So, should the motor park at the point it clicks when bench testing, or does it need to be mounted under the dash and connected to the transmission arms in order to park? Should I run it with the transmission arms on and the wiper arms off? I did have the wiper pivots and arms off at one time and probably put them back on at a different point. The transmission arms were in a box when I got the truck, so I can't say if the whole thing worked when I got it. I guess I'm just not getting this whole park thing. That's enough rambling for today, thanks for reading.

Pat
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Yes, try it connected to the wiper arms but with the wiper blades off in case it is not adjusted correctly.

What year is your truck? My 65 had a different looking motor and mounting bracket and a motor from a 73 to 79 and possibly even the 67 to 72 may fit too. They have the same mounting bosses but you will have to re index the bell crank a 180 degrees to make it park right. I first discovered this on my 64 Falcon Sprint. The up grade will allow you to have two speed wipers and intermittent wipers as well. Of course you will need to get the wiper switch and governor when you get the motor. So I would be looking for a late 70's truck because the intermittent wipers didn't become available until the mid to late 70's. If I remember correctly I not only did this to my Falcon but also to my N 950 and my Ranger as well.
Michelle

tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

The truck is a 1966 F250 4x4. I removed the wiper arms and hooked up the transmission arms. It still ran when turned off so I adjusted the small rectangular tab you see in photo #5 from ret to adv until I was able to get it to stop at the end of adv. However, when I put the round cap back on, the motor ran again with the switch off. It ran the same speed at off and low and then ran faster on high speed. I manually held the tab all the way over to adv side where it stopped again, but noticed it had burned a hole in the circuit board. I was also missing a bushing on one of the ends of one of the transmission arms and was able to get them moving freely with a little light oil.

Now that I understand the park function and setting, I think it had just worn itself out over time. I'll now be looking for a new or good running used one. Through all of this I learned you can't just put the wiper arms back on, it has to be done at the correct park position. Thanks to all for their help. Pat
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Glad you got it sorted out, now your can go forward. Now go find the correct motor and mounting bracket for your truck. Then go back to the junk yard and get a motor off a 78 or 79 Ford pickup with intermittent wipers, get the motor, switch and the governor. Its an easy upgrade and easy to install. By getting all three pieces it will all plug together and the only wire that will be left will be the power wire and a ground. Keep us informed on your progress.
Michelle

tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

I know you've all been sitting on pins and needles for my update so here goes :D :
I pulled a motor, bracket, switch and intermittent relay (governor) from a 79 F150. The bracket is slightly different than mine and would not bolt up. The mounting posts for the motor to the bracket are completely different from those on my bracket so I had to drill three new holes in the old bracket. The switch is also slightly longer than 61-66 switches so I put a nut on the switch behind the dash to set it back a little. Finally the arm on the motor is about and inch longer and sits up about and inch higher than my old one so it hit the bottom side of the cowl and couldn't be used. I swapped out the old one and noted it was a little loose.
So after the install I gave it a try and everything worked fine with the wiper blades off. The pivots moved back and forth, changed speed from low to high and the full range of the intermittent cycle worked. The park setting even worked as it should. Then I put the wiper blades back on. The wipers made about three passes and stopped, but the motor sounded like it wanted to keep going. It seems the motor cannot work under the load of having the wipers on.
Stay tuned and thanks Michelle.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I forgot to add that you would need a mounting bracket from a 65, 66, the 79 motor will fit that bracket. I too used the bellcrank from my original motor but then you have to remember that my truck had the original motor in it. The mounting bosses from the 79 motor will fit right up to the 65, 66 bracket. Hang in there Tom, you will eventually get there. I wish I was back home where I could get a picture of my motor. Give me a couple of more weeks and I will be back home.
Michelle