Front end options on a '61 uni

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

River City
United States of America

Front end options on a '61 uni

Post by River City »

Hello all,
Getting ready to rip into my 61 uni and would truly like it to drive better than it does. Might have worked well for the farmer before me, but this will be my shop truck and my camper hauler. Would love to have IFS, power steering, and disc breaks. I plan to drop the truck about 3 inches from it's current stock height. I've weighed the crown vic option at length but I'm just not crazy about the VERY limited wheel options I'd have from going that route. Not a big fan of the vic or Mustang wheels, I adore the old steelies and would love to use them. Most of my research has come up with options guys used on the twin I beam frames but not seeing a lot for my '61 uni. I plan to keep the 351w and C6 that is in it. I don't need a bolt in option, I weld LOTS with a great Lincoln 220v welder, and don't mind the idea of welding something in. Just curious what you folks have done. Thanks so much!
'61 F100 unibody SWB (Vic swapped daily driver)
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
bruceandersson

Re: Front end options on a '61 uni

Post by bruceandersson »

I've never done any of these conversions. Low buck option is the crown vic option. Loved by some because it is almost a simple bolt in, certainly minimal fabrication. You can pick these up for $300-$500. Next is clipping with the front end you want. Much more work, and a lot of people (me included) would never buy a clipped vehicle as this is complicated and can't picture ourselves sitting in a vehicle with the frame broke at the split. Dodge Dakota has some fans, I am sure there are some discussion on this here. Then there are the weld in kits, most based on the Mustang II design. There is at least one big fan of the Jaguar conversions. I tend to build a truck and get bored and sell it after a while. If it was me, I'd go Crown Vic or weld-in so it would either maintain or increase the ability to sell it eventually.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

You could transplant a twin I beam frame under your uni. It's your truck , make it yours. That said you can make anything from 65 to 2014 fit. I've heard that someone did an ecoboost,. I've heard of IDI diesels ... you get the picture.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
bird55
United States of America

Post by bird55 »

I may be alone on this one but I've rebuilt my entire front end and added disc brakes, new king pins. manual steering is rebuilt. Drive and rides great. Still harder to turn in to the parking space! But I do it. Works perfect for me. Do what you want it's your truck.
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

And have you looked at disks for your straight Axel? Speedway, Summit, Jegs, LMC, all sell some versions that will get you disk brakes .

And CPP sells a box for 5?- 60 ford, that will work our 61-64 trucks...with a little effort.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

heard lots of good about the dakota front end. You can use full size truck rotors and keep the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Never messed with it myself. I kept the straight axle in my 63, and just added disc brakes.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I did a Mustang II on my '57 short bed big window. Worked fine but I feel there are better answers out there.

Some love the Jag. I have no experience with it because there is no jag parts around me so nothing for resources on that one for me.

I did the Industrial Chassis Kit on my '62. Love it so far. Haven't driven it but those that already have them praise them, never heard a negative comment on them (maybe except up front price but in all honesty it's a more complete kit than most Mustang II cross member kits and the price is about the same since the IC kit includes all the boxing plates, bolts, etc). You can use 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern rotors. It basically snaps into place and is almost foolproof to install. Full installation in my build thread. I would absolutely do another IC/Dakota vs the MII setup. I'm using a FE but a 351W would be easy to put in.

The CV is too wide and hated the funky wheel choices. I can run about any wheel I want. I went with the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern Dakota rotors and had my rear axles and a new set of brake drums drilled to 5 on 4.5 by Quick Performance in Ames. Cheap and works great. Did the same thing on my '57.

Look at my build thread for step by step. Drive down and look in person (I'm about 1:45 from Des Moines) and I'll take you to lunch!

Steve

1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Who did your welding Steve? Are you sure you weren't a shop hand instead of engineer? Looks good.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I always said I wouldn't drive anything I welded on. That really upset my driver when we raced late models since I built a couple of them and he was a certified welder.

Part of the IC/Dakota kit comes pre-welded. The hats are already put together and just snap into place to weld to the frame. The pretty welds are theirs.

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

HotRodMatt

Post by HotRodMatt »

got any pics of your motor mounts? any problems with the fe? im about to order a kit for my 66 and am running an FE with a 4x4 pan, planning to fab motor mounts from welder series parts.

some inspiration may change my plans
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

I'm working on motor mounts. At first I used the Mustang mounts that were on the GT engine I got for the truck. They use a horizontal bolt thru ears and a tube, more like a SBC mount. Looked good but was a pain for the steering shaft location and the horizontal bolt hit the Sanderson headers and the right angle oil filter adaptor I am using.

I am using the 4x4 pan and set the height so the air cleaner just clears the pinch weld on the firewall. I have about 3/4" between the pan and PS hard lines on the rack. Carbs are set level front/back and left/right. I'm putting a 4 bar in and will correct pinion angle to match the tranny tail shaft at that time.

Re-grouped, cut the Mustang style mounts out and went with truck cushions. They have the single vertical stud. Stands are made from flat plate. More room for the header and the steering shaft passes thru the stand instead of around it. Worked great. Still have to grind out some bad welds (welder acting up, gun liner replaced and all's good now), add a few gussets and finish them up but here's where I'm headed.

HotRodMatt

Post by HotRodMatt »

thanks ! got my wheels turning
jecsd1

Post by jecsd1 »

Another vote here for the Industrial Chassis Dakota kit. I've had mine installed since 2009 and love it! They have since redesigned it and made it even better.

If you weld and can do the install yourself, you won't regret it.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

I'd add some gussets to that motor mount. Trapezoids aren't too sturdy.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

They are just basically tacked in right now. Was having trouble with my mig the day I put those in. Plan full gussets after the engine is back out and there's more room to work.

Spark