Going to look at a 66 y'all offer any advice?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

dhughins

Going to look at a 66 y'all offer any advice?

Post by dhughins »

Straight 6 3 on the tree. Clear coat peeling is all I really know about it.

Couldn't figure out how to post pics on here. I posting from an IPhone.

Not sure if I should post link to Craigslist ad.

He's asking $3800. Says he has too many vehicles and doesn't drive it. I live about 2 hours away.
foodstick

Re: Going to look at a 66 y'all offer any advice?

Post by foodstick »

Well the real rust prone areas are the cab mounts, bottom of the door posts, and the bottom of the radiator support . Most trucks that have a bad rust problem in the cab mounts might have a binding issue with the shift mechanism.So the front of the cab needs to come up...

Thats the real issues that need dealt with in the Midwest... They rust other places obviously.. but thats what we check first.

At the mentioned price,If the seller mentions clear coat peeling as a problem, you are probably looking at something way nicer than some rusty midwest truck ;)
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

As food stated, rust prone areas are the first thing to check. From that move on to mechanical (engine, brakes, steering). For that price it had better be very nice. Just my .02 worth
jkimbrel65
United States of America

Post by jkimbrel65 »

Where bouts in Alabama are you.

Mike
I tried being normal once...
was the worst 10 minutes of my life
dhughins

Post by dhughins »

jkimbrel65 wrote:Where bouts in Alabama are you.

Mike
Way down south. Ozark Al. In the southeast corner. About 30 minutes north of Dothan. The truck I'm looking at in northern Florida.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Got a quote to fix the pealing clear cote on my '66 when I had it. Easily will be $2000 of professionally done and they use quality clear.

Front cab mounts, floors, front of box, lower part of tailgate, radiator support, missing side trim, look for a hacked dash.

http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/cto/5755997214.html

If that's it, it doesn't have a '66 front clip on it and the interior looks like an early one, not a '65/66 style. Make sure the title matches the VIN number. 65/66 cab wouldn't have steps in the doorway but it kind of looks like this one has steps, hard to tell in the fuzzy pics. Dash looks like the earlier gauge cluster, too. Steering column has a drop and a 65/6 is against the bottom of the dash.

Smells fishy to me. I think it's a 61-64 style cab. Probably a 1964 truck from what I'm seeing. Would like to see under the hood and the VIN number for this one.

I would have a lot of questions before driving to look at it. Straight axle or twin I beam? Curved inner fenders of flat with square corners? My red flags are up.

My opinion, tread lightly if this is the one you are looking at.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
dhughins

Post by dhughins »

Yeah. I'm thinking its a 64 and the owner don't know it. I think I probably rather have a 66 with the I beam. I think they are easier to do disc brakes right?
longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Steering column spaced below dash, 64 or earlier. I would want to see vin on frame, not door or glove box.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
dhughins

Post by dhughins »

Yeah I would look for the vin but here in Alabama it's not a big deal. Anything over 25 years old doesn't need a title just a bill of sale.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Discs are easy on either one. Speedway sells a kit for the straight axle trucks for around $250 if I remember correctly.

If it has a Florida title as a '66, I would walk away, something isn't right. You may not need a title in your state but most others do. Comes time to sell it and you may have huge problems. Same at a traffic stop some day.

Call the guy and talk to him, maybe it's a typo or he didn't look at the title correctly.

I don't buy problems on purpose, they seem to find me without me even trying.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
dhughins

Post by dhughins »

Well I think right now plans are on hold till I can come up with more money. I wanna be able to buy something that I can drive and enjoy without having to start out with a lot of work.
BAMAFORD
United States of America

Post by BAMAFORD »

Here is the Craigs List link to a 65 long bed in Northwest Georgia. The guy doesn't know much about the truck, says it is a 63 but we all know better.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5794938266.html
The Second Ammendment is the Original Homeland Security