Looking for someone with a 65 or 66 with original C-6 tranny

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Michelle
United States of America

Looking for someone with a 65 or 66 with original C-6 tranny

Post by Michelle »

I am in the process of replacing the New Process four speed in my 65 with C-6. I need someone that has a truck that originally had a C-6 in it. I need you to send me some pictures of the side of the transmission showing the Shift lever that comes out of the side of the transmission and any pictures of the shift linkage that attaches to it. A good picture of the shift lever and linkage would give me a good idea of what I need to look for or what I would need to modify to make it work. A big thanks to a couple of board members LM4 Steve has send me some pictures of some linkage that came from a Ford van and a Thunderbird that I have got some good ideas from. and Chris 401 has some parts that I may be able to use. You can e-mail me the pictures at MichellHC@aol.com
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Michelle
United States of America

Re: Looking for someone with a 65 or 66 with original C-6 tr

Post by Michelle »

I am bumping this back up, I am still needing some pictures of the transmission shift lever.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

I thought the c6 didn't come stock in a pickup until 67/68?
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Michelle, the C6 was not in these trucks. In fact, any cars did not have the C6 until sometime later in the 60's. As to the linkage, I believe in some trucks there was a bellcrank setup which was similar to the clutch bellcrank but smaller in diameter. You will have to figure out your own linkage for the C6 I'm afraid. I've make my own for the 64. Don't remember what I did though.

Rich
Jerry T
United States of America

Post by Jerry T »

Michelle, here are some pics of my 66 with a 352 and com. It is all factory, hope they help. By the way my Ranger clone has a 428 with a C-6 and the linkage is basically the same. Except for the kickdown linkage which I heavily modified to work with the tri-power. I can get you some pics of it this next weekend.
Jerry
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

You guys are right, I didn't have my thinking cap on, the c-6 did come on the scene a little later. Oh well, no sweat, it will not be the first time I have ever fabbed linkage for a transmission. At least I have a clue as to the angle of the shift lever on the tranny.
Michelle

SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

i installed a c6 in a 1966 f100 and used the factory column but i used a bendix gear box so i didn't have to shorten the column.i did have to modify the shift rod in order to get the linkage to clock right w/ the column indicator. i think i still have a factory cruisomatic column.

jim
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED
1966 F100 523 STROKER C6 GEARVENDORS OVERDRIVE finished
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

SLICKCOLLECTOR wrote:i installed a c6 in a 1966 f100 and used the factory column but i used a bendix gear box so i didn't have to shorten the column.i did have to modify the shift rod in order to get the linkage to clock right w/ the column indicator. i think i still have a factory cruisomatic column.

jim
I have a factory auto column for it. I was mostly curious about the clocking of the shift lever on the side of the transmission. I used a 79 Ford pick up column in a 56 F-100 I used to have and had to shorten that column to make it work in that truck. It too had a C-6 and I had to extend the transmission shift lever a little to get the indicator on the column to match the lever on the transmission. but it all worked out.
Michelle

MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Hi Michelle,
I have a 390 with a C6 from a 69 truck sitting in my garage. I also have the C6 linkages and a 78 auto column if you want me to take measurements or photos of anything. I decided to stick with my NP435 for now, but may swap the C6 in at some point.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,
Corey
1966 F250 LWB
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

MN66 wrote:Hi Michelle,
I have a 390 with a C6 from a 69 truck sitting in my garage. I also have the C6 linkages and a 78 auto column if you want me to take measurements or photos of anything. I decided to stick with my NP435 for now, but may swap the C6 in at some point.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,
Corey
I have a column already, I will probably be able to use the linkage from the end of the column to the shift lever on the side of the transmission. Also if you can take a picture of the shift lever on the side of the transmission that would be good. Is the linkage from the column to the transmission one piece of does it have the bell crank on the side of the bell housing? Indeed pictures would be a big help.
Michelle

Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Michelle,
Switched out my COM to a C6 and retained the com linkage.Went to a local tranny supply house that just happened to have a box full of c6 shifter arms that mount to the tranny..took a little trial and error to find a set that connected to colume linkage and kick down.....it all worked,except the collar won't allow a shift into low...never use it anyway.If you want a picture PM me a phone# and I'll text you a couple
Dan
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Thanks Mr. Jones, I think I have a handle on for the time being. However if I have any problems I will send you a PM.
Michelle

longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Just look at any 70's truck. I used 460,c6, and column from 79 and didn't have to adjust linkage, it fit so well. Just moved from one truck to the other.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Thanks Johnny, that is good to hear. I think I will be able to make things work with a minimum of hassle. I would guess then that any linkage from 65 to 79 would work.
Michelle

MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Here are a few pics of the shift linkage.

Overall linkage with a slight bend that I'm not sure is "factory".

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzgyh ... 05EbVZmeHc

Trans end.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzgyh ... lVPWUZ0Nlk

Column end.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzgyh ... XVRaGctVEk

Hope those help. I'll be out where the C6 is stored later this week and can get some linkage pics.

Corey
1966 F250 LWB
SLICKCOLLECTOR
United States of America

Post by SLICKCOLLECTOR »

the column shift arm from a 65/66 cruisomatic column is longer in length than a 67-79 column. the c6 shift lever for a pickup is what you need for your install. the issue using a 65/66 column even if you shorten the column to accomodate the saginaw p/s gearbox is the geometry mismatch you have by using the factory column and the dial will not clock with the transmission lever. it will still shift thru all gears but the indicator will not indicate the correct gear. if you can live with that small problem cool. if you use a 67 to 72 p/s column and use a saginaw ps box the shift indicator will clock right and the factory rod from the 67-72 column will work without modification. it depends on how much you want to modify your factory original Ranger.

jim
1966 F100 SW 428CJ C6
1965 F100 SW 428 TL sold
1966 F100 SW CVC 428CJ C6
1966 F100 LB RANGER 390 C6 sold finally
1965 F100 SW CVC 460PI C6
1972 F100 RANGER XLT SW 428 C6 SOLD
1967 F100 SW CVC 521 C6
1967 F350 390 4 SPEED
1970 F350 428 4 SPEED
1974 F350 428 4 SPEED
1966 F100 523 STROKER C6 GEARVENDORS OVERDRIVE finished
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I got back home yesterday and checked the transmission I have today. The shift lever on the transmission has been sawed off. I will either find another shift lever or I will weld a piece on the part of the lever that is left and go from there. As far as the clocking of the shift indicator on the column and the shift lever on the transmission. That is easily done by lengthening the shift lever or making it shorter. If you start off in park on the column indicator and on the transmission shift lever and end up short of low on the transmission you make the transmission shift lever shorter to get full travel. If you have the opposite problem you lengthen the lever. I am using a stock column.
Michelle