Shift Lever Removal

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

F164

Shift Lever Removal

Post by F164 »

Ive been trying off and on to remove the automatic shift lever on my 64 F100 for over a year.

It will not stay in park and the neutral safety switch was disconnect by the PO so he could start it.

I have the parts to fix it and repair the TS swich as well.

I can not get the drift pin to budge. Ive WD40'd it, tapped it from the bottom, tried to drill it from the bottom, nothing Im doing is making that pin move.

Im all out of ideas.
Michelle
United States of America

Re: Shift Lever Removal

Post by Michelle »

You have to remove the pan and remove the whole shaft.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
F164

Post by F164 »

Im not following you.

I need to remove the AT shift lever from the collar so I can replace the detent plate and TS cam.

The shift lever is held on with a drift pin, apparently made of hardened steel. I have tried several times the past year to get the pin out. It will not budge, all Im accomplishing is damaging the nearly unobtainable AT shift collar.

Normally the pin is pushed out the top from the bottom, but not this one, it is stuck in there good.

I used a drill bit and drilled the drift pin one size bigger than the ID of the hole, thinking that the bit would make the pin turn, freeing it up. No such luck.

Im at a loss as to how to get this pin out. I have hit it with WD40 for a year now. I cant service the column or pull the column with the shift lever attached.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I'm sorry, I was thinking you were trying to remove the shift lever from the side of the transmission. I now realize you are trying to remove the lever from the shift collar on the steering column. Most of the ones I have seen has a roll pin in it and aren't that hard to remove. I am thinking someone put an over size pin in it. I really don't have a suggestion on what to do other than what you have already tried. What kind of automatic does your truck have in it? C-6? I am in the process of putting a C-6 in my 65. Regardless of what automatic you have in your truck I would greatly appreciate it if you would post a picture of the transmission linkage as it is on the side of your transmission.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
F164

Post by F164 »

The 64 has a y block and COM. I can post a pic but I dont know if it will be of any help.

I took a dremal to the pin, all that did was wear out the dremal bit.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

You may have to remove the steering column and put it in a press to drive out the roll pin.

Is that the stock transmission for you truck? If so it will be of some help because I can at least see the angle of the transmission shift lever which should be close to what the angle of the lever on a C-6 will be.
Michelle

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I have a new replacement shift collar although it is most likely for a later model as it has the shifter pointer that is separate from the collar but does come with it. The original collars used double indent pieces with a spring in between on the shifters.
1961 F350
1964 Galaxie convertable
1964 flairside, style side, and longbed
1965 Ranger, and shortbed
1966 long bed, and shortbed
A few parts trucks also
1991 Capri
2011 F250
2004 Lexus