4x4 knuckle ball seal kit

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mrgoob

4x4 knuckle ball seal kit

Post by mrgoob »

1962 F250 with the front Dana 44HD. Where to buy the felt seal kit at a reasonable price. Other question is what weight oil inside the knuckle? Manual says 90 like the axle but seems too thin. Saw some guys running 140, heard about some running grease. Thanks, Goob.
Shillinghill

Re: 4x4 knuckle ball seal kit

Post by Shillinghill »

Hi mrgoob, I got all the parts for my Dana44 from Bronco Graveyard. They were very helpful. I run 90 in my knuckles, however I did pack the top bearing with grease because it is above the lube level and spends alot of time in dry where bottom one is always lubed. Hope this helps. Bill
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

Eight or twelve bolt knuckle? I'M guessing 12, but better to ask.

Yes, some people run 140 150 weight lube.
Personally, I would use the lightest lube I could keep in the seals without leaks
(Usually over 100 weight)

Grease mixed with graphite was what the farm kids used when the seals were trashed.

I have not bought parts for or worked on a 4X4 since high school. Which means we went to the local parts house and waited however long it took to get whatever they could.
That said,
BJ's off-road has the just the wiper seal kit for $10
Bronco graveyard looks like $45 for the simular kit.
And torque king 4X4 on the high end at $109.

Haven't bought from any of them.
Bronco grave yard does carry led up grade dash kits and
factory gauges I will be purchasing in the future.

Maybe one of our members who has purchased some lately will chime in soon.
BINGO and beat me to the post.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

The 12 bolts are Ford part number is D4TZ-3132-B, obsolete and out of stock at all my usual sources. Try rearcounter.com. They can notify you if/when someone lists them. Jeff's Bronco Graveyard did carry them, but none there now, maybe they can notify you if they get them in. I don't have the GM or Dana part number, but it is the same seal kit. Good luck!