Battery location

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

slick4x4
United States of America

Battery location

Post by slick4x4 »

Why was the battery location under the cab floor
On big trucks & 4x4s ? ......

The only reason I can think of , is they were taller
Which made them harder to reach if they were mounted on firewall
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
LM14
United States of America

Re: Battery location

Post by LM14 »

I figured it was for more underhood room for compressors, etc on the big trucks. Also more room for bigger tires and wheel travel on the right side.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Ford had mounted the batteries under the floor for years on all their trucks regardless of size. It was only in the sixties that they started putting them under the hood. I have owned a 53, a couple of 55's and three 56 models from F-100 to F-800 and all of them had the battery under the floor. I am sure glad that my 65 has it up front under the hood for ease of access. It was a real pain in the rear on my 56 F-100 to remove from under the floor. I had custom seats and carpeting in that truck. It took thirty minutes just to get to the battery.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

It seems I read a while back that the battery on 4x4s and F350s is under the floor so that it didn't get overheated when running a PTO for extended times. Not sure where I read it, but it is a possible reason.

Pat