Cigar Lighter Original vs Repro

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

9Fingers
United States of America

Cigar Lighter Original vs Repro

Post by 9Fingers »

The interior on my 65 has some creative work done to the dash knobs. I'm not sure what the previous owner used, but it looks like they inverted the white inserts and then painted them green to match the truck. My plan is to swap them out for the original style as I find the knobs on parts trucks.

I have a cigar lighter element but there is NO Bezel with it. I have been looking for a while, but I can't find an original element with the bezel. I'm not dead set on it being original, and I have seen reproduction units, but I thought I read somewhere the bezel on the repros is not the same diameter as the originals, its a little smaller, and then it would stand out when in place and be noticeable. If they are the same as originals, I will get a repro unit.

Can anyone confirm that about the reproduction units?

Thanks, Bradshaw
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
Michelle
United States of America

Re: Cigar Lighter Original vs Repro

Post by Michelle »

I will look at my 65 tomorrow and let you know about the size of the bezel. All the knobs are repopped. It is getting hard to find good knobs on parts trucks anymore.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I checked it out this morning and my bezel is the same size as the other dash bezels. My bezel is an original but I installed a new knob that I bought from one of the vendors.

Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

Thanks Michelle, I will get out the calipers and measure one my other bezels and I will know the diameter, the check with some of the suppliers for the repro units and see what they measure.
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

I was able to locate an original lighter at a salvage yard 3 hours away last week. Called up and the fellow there pulled it and mailed it to me. It was delivered today. Needs cleaning on the outside and an insert. Put the dial calipers on it, the bezel measures 1.3" and a few ten thousandths. NPD catalog is where I saw the repro with a bezel diameter of 1-1/8. So its a little more than an eighth of an inch difference. Im not sure it wojld be noticeable but the I'm thankful i was able to find an original.
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

9Fingers wrote:I was able to locate an original lighter at a salvage yard 3 hours away last week. Called up and the fellow there pulled it and mailed it to me. It was delivered today. Needs cleaning on the outside and an insert. Put the dial calipers on it, the bezel measures 1.3" and a few ten thousandths. NPD catalog is where I saw the repro with a bezel diameter of 1-1/8. So its a little more than an eighth of an inch difference. Im not sure it wojld be noticeable but the I'm thankful i was able to find an original.
Good deal, I am glad you found an original one.
Michelle