Speaking of....

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

9Fingers
United States of America

Speaking of....

Post by 9Fingers »

Foodstick mentioned in the "Just saw an interesting story" thread about driving stick shift vehicles that someone had tried to steal his friends Mustang.

I'm thinking about adding some sort of Theif-Proofing to my truck.

What have you all done, to ward off would be highjackers?

Hidden fuel tank valve, to manually cut off the fuel? An extra switch to flip before ignition switch will work normally? Manual cutout switch for battery cables?
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Speaking of....

Post by Toyz »

C6 trans conversion, no gear indicator for column shift, clutch pedal still in place and workable, train horn switched by depressed clutch pedal! Does it work? Except for testing, I don't know!

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

I was thinking of adding a kill switch to the ignition system when I wire this thing up.
I may put in a fuel valve as well.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

kill switch is a good idea,, problem with our trucks is all I need is a screw driver and wire to go to hot side of the coil and away I go,,, So kill switch is good for some of the dumber crooks
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
River City
United States of America

Post by River City »

My first car was a '67 Mustang coupe (worked my butt off all spring/summer for that thing...still miss it) and there was a rash of stolen 60's cars in North Dallas at the time, so I wired a kill switch under the driver seat, used the trusty ol' Club, and more than once parked it in drive (on level ground), so if they tried to bridge the starter solenoid they'd quickly be inspecting my oil pan. Later I bought some locking hood pins from JC Whitney because I thought it would be a great deterrent and looked "muscle car" :roll:
'61 F100 unibody SWB (Vic swapped daily driver)
'62 F100 Unibody SWB
'66 Mustang 'vert
'31 Ford Model A
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

On a couple occasions I've taken the distributor rotor with me. It's not really that convenient, but I think it's pretty unlikely that a thief would diagnose the issue and happen to have a load-o-matic rotor with them....or want to steal my truck at all :lol:
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

Best thing - don't leave your keys in the truck! Nothing will deter a skilled person, good thing most criminals are neither skilled or smart. I know people who never lock a convertible since if someone does want in their car, at least they wont destroy the top. The reason the club is effective is that it is obvious there is an easier car to steal. I'd go for simple an obvious to a casual thief like the club. They might still break a window of mess up something else before being stopped by a bidden device.
shipwrecked
United States of America

Post by shipwrecked »

With a kills switch, and a three on a tree... I think if some one wanted this truck, they would find a way. I live in jersey... no one ever seems to question a tow truck/roll back coming up and just taking a vehicle from a home. Mine is going to be a garage queen I am sure.
The months may change, but I am always APRIL
'63 F100 Custom Cab 223inline 6, 3speed manual- mostly stock
https://www.youtube.com/coastiereid
Truck has been home in CA,OR,WA,NJ,VA since it's birth in San Jose Jan63
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

My first old F3 had a pretty effective one. Four speed shifter retainer was worn enough to allow easy removal of the shifter. Toss it behind the seat; with trans in granny low, even a roll back would be challenged!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

I live out in the country
Raised by a dad that never took the keys out of the vehicles
His theory was a neighbor might need it in an emergency
Or if somebody bad showed up, they would steal it
Instead of coming in the house ,causing trouble
He was a ww2 vet... He'd had enough fighting in his life
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

We are out in the country too. We are fortunate that we have good neighbors. There are some rambling knuckleheads though, that have been up no good in the area, stealing from vehicles in the yard while folks are in the house and some break ins too. These are the ones I want to foolproof the Slick for, even if the key is in it, I hope to put a few extra requirements in place for you to start it up and drive away.
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

It got to be a bit of a hassle with the key chain, but I used to have to put a key in the dash to start it, and a key in the Crown Vic column to unlock the steering!

I think as cold blooded as the FE engines are ..very few thieves would know they have to wait ten minutes to try and drive it ;)
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

owned a few jeeps in my life no top no doors , a few of them had the coil wired thru the lighter socket, pull the lighter out put that in your pocket... won't start without the lighter in place, but you have to silver solder the element for resistance first, so the lighter dosen't work :2cents:

Danny