Electric power steering?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

unibody madness
United States of America

Electric power steering?

Post by unibody madness »

Has anyone installed electric power steering in a straight axle truck?
Looking for insight into this upgrade for one of my 61 unibody trucks.
Juice steering is crazy expensive, hard to find parts, power robbing ect...
I have found an original power assist but parts are missing.
223 motors need unobtainium ad on pulley's
Seems like electric would be the answer to a lot of folks problems.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
Michelle
United States of America

Re: Electric power steering?

Post by Michelle »

Install an air compressor and put on air assist power steering.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Sounds interesting! But what if I were to absent-mindedly hit the bag inflator valves and air horns while attempting auto-cross? :twisted:
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I put all new bushings,kingpins ..everything on my 64..I even dissasembled the springs cleaned and painted and installed some anti squeak tape.. New radials THAT WERE ALL THE SAME SIZE..... The truck felt like it had power steering after that.

:D
unibody madness
United States of America

Wide tires and tight parking spaces seem to affect both long and short wheel base trucks, fine on the road, but juice steering is in fact more than I care for. The adjustability in the electric set up seems more like what I would like
Turk build thread at:

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

That is my main interest also, John! to be able to maneuver the tow truck in tight situations, and turn down the assist when towing at speed sounds great to me. I'm not sure if the Saturn unit will hold up to that load; may have to beg Lance to "upgrade" the motor!

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

So are you looking for a ready made kit, or info on a shopping list for the junk yard?

Ready made... http://www.ultimatepowersteering.com.au ... ng-epas-1/

http://americanpowertrain.com/p-29458-e ... ering.html

know nothing about either of them.

Have you thought about a cpp 400 PS box and an electric PS pump. ( I'm planning on using one on my truck)
No belts no brackets, just a key on relay, wiring and hoses. Tank and pump are one unit. Mount just about any where, even under the cab.

If your thinking Saturn unit, http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-for ... -epas.html
I found a few build threads on other vehicles. Space is a problem on our trucks.
If I remembere right you replace 8" or more of steering shaft with the unit and it has to be ridged mounted. Some Saturn units are not weather tight so inside under dash only.... between clutch and brake pedals... it's a fight for space. If you separate the electronics from the motor it's better...
I can hunt down the web board posts if you're dead serious. I dropped that idea for space under dash issues.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

I'm not sure if this is going to help you or not seeing he brackets are a problem, but my straight axle slick had power steering added. It had a ram bolted to the axle and a bracket in the draglink and control valve was up at the pitman arm. I believe was from a 60's mustang and I would think would be cheap to purchase over your way.

unibody madness
United States of America

Leeroy, I have a similar set up that was originally used on our trucks but am missing an idler arm so its kind of useless.

FMS I was hoping to find someone who has actually done this on an early slick. I am pretty sure it can be done outside the cab and the unit can be made water proof Does it have to be rack and pinion or can it be adapted to a steering box. I also have a 400 steering unit and need to know where to source electronic hydro pump,can it be picked for instance. Thinking in terms of posting a how to after installing on one of my trucks
Turk build thread at:

Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

I have converted several tow trucks to the ram assist setup ran fore/aft like found on the bigger F-series of the era. They were great for low speed manueverability, but seemed "twitchy" at highway speeds, even when set up with bunches of caster. If your original box is worn, the CPP box with electric pump may be a good choice. I am considering a drivetrain conversion to include a PTO driven hydraulic pump/motor to drive the winches. It could be set up to power a steers ng box as well. I don't know of a r&p setup for the one tons; the one I have is fox body based and I am not enthused about the extra un-sprung weight. While not certain ackling mine yet, I see no problem fitting the Saturn unit under dash; or waterproofing it for underhood mounting. I examined a very impressive Boss 302-powered Capri II at this year's Hot Rod Power Tour. This owner/builder DRIVES this car and waxes enthusiastic about the electric conversion. Although his steering shaft angles are a little more extreme than I would prefer, it does show what can be done as to mounting clearances. As I noted before, being able to see assembly ly adjust the assist is a strong point in my opinion. I am in the process of relocating my shops, so I can't provide much additional info at this point.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Paul
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

I'll see if I can get you a list of electric PS pumps. Most conversions I have found wire the pump key hot... bypassing the variable pressure part of the system...
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle