Crown Vic IFS, placement

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

mercuryv8
Canada

Crown Vic IFS, placement

Post by mercuryv8 »

I've been doing a lot of reading and have seen a few different numbers.

If you were or have installed the 03+ crown Vic IFS in a 61-63 f100. Where would you locate it in relation to factory straight axle location.

Nic
foodstick

Re: Crown Vic IFS, placement

Post by foodstick »

Is it possible where you are in the build to block the thing up and sit the doghouse back to the cab, then jus move the suspension back and forth.... to eyeball it?

I know you probably want to have someones exact number to go from..

When I put my 62 UNI on the 86 Crown Vic chassis, I agonized for a long time sliding the body forward and backward, walking around it.. just trying to decide what to do.

On my chassis the front end is wider than the newer ones I think......
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

The problem is there are so many rivets and holes everybody measures from a different spot. I did a plum bob across the centerline of the axle. At first it didn't look right when I cleared everything off the frame (kind of seemed to close to the cab) but I made some chalk lines on the garage floor and it measured 114" for the wheelbase.

Depending on who you ask it's 114"-115" assuming you have a shortbed . I think it's 128" for a long bed. Either way it's a good way to double check.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

Folks all talk about moving it forward between 1 1/2 to two inches in order to center the wheels in the wheel wells. My son did not want to lower his flare side so we put a two inch square channel under instead of over the cross brace and it looked terrible thaty way, so we centered it where the old axle was.
measure your nubs on the crown vic cross member, cut two slats of wood a touch thicker, and lower the frame, you can lower it and be able to slide it back and fourth before you drill.
The bottom of your frame is arched where the cross member sits so be prepared to deal with that as well.
I noticed there is a crown vic swap page over on facebook
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

unibody madness wrote:Folks all talk about moving it forward between 1 1/2 to two inches in order to center the wheels in the wheel wells. My son did not want to lower his flare side so we put a two inch square channel under instead of over the cross brace and it looked terrible thaty way, so we centered it where the old axle was.
measure your nubs on the crown vic cross member, cut two slats of wood a touch thicker, and lower the frame, you can lower it and be able to slide it back and fourth before you drill.
The bottom of your frame is arched where the cross member sits so be prepared to deal with that as well.
I noticed there is a crown vic swap page over on facebook
John
That's a good tip with the wood. I will do that. I have a bare frame that I am rebuilding. I can bring the rad support and a fender and eyeball it.

I have read about the same numbers 1-1.5 inch forward.

On my frame it looks like the axle bumpstop is bolted right on the centreline.

Nic
unibody madness
United States of America

That's about where it was on the 61 frame, I believe you have an arch on the bottom of your frame as well.
Our solution was to cut, and re-weld the bottom flange of the frame flat after clamping it to a 1/4 inch 2x2 square tube. we also re-enforced inside the 2x2 as well as between the frame with 5/16ths Dom tubing where it is bolted thru, before plating the frame.
You have to notch, gusset, and recess the top of the frame in order to keep it the x member a little higher as well.
Turk build thread at:

mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

I was looking at cutting the tubes out of the crown Vic frame. Since they are already the perfect length and I.D. my plan if they stuck out past the frame too far was to fit a spacer plate over them. Then weld it all up.

Nic
RustNdust65
United States of America

Post by RustNdust65 »

Hold the phone...this is the first I've heard of moving it forward an inch or so. Really glad I didn't drill my center pin holes yet. My rad support is non existent so it'll be hard to mock up but doing so will center it in the wheel well? Dang I thought I had this all planned out and ready to go.
mercuryv8
Canada

Post by mercuryv8 »

unibody madness wrote: You have to notch, gusset, and recess the top of the frame in order to keep it the x member a little higher as well.
I'm having trouble picturing what you mean here.

Nic
unibody madness
United States of America

Typically every one sets the x member tight to the bottom of the frame giving max drop. This leaves the tubes sticking out the top of the frame and A arm adjuster rotates down to parallel. My son preffered a higher stock ride height so a two x two inch square channel was fitted between the CV x member and the frame.
In order to get the a arm swing plates level we had to notch gusset and plate the top of the frame to get a ride height closer to stock. we also needed clearance for the original 223 to clear the CV X member
Turk build thread at: