Manual trans inspection

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Mojave922
United States of America

Manual trans inspection

Post by Mojave922 »

I'm about to pull the engine and manual trans out of my non-running '65. The trans appears to have been driven dry by the looks of things -- no oil came from the drain plug and there is evidence of a long term leak from rear seal.

Should I assume that this transmission is toast? Or is there something I can inspect inside? Don't have much experience with manual transmissions.

Thanks!

David
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code
mercuryv8
Canada

Re: Manual trans inspection

Post by mercuryv8 »

Did you notice any metal shavings, chunks, or dust/sludge. That kind of stuff will tell the tale. Look inside with a flashlight, is there corrosion? Does it go into gear? When you get it out you can turn it by hand.

Nic
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

If it sat for a long time...It's possible that it went "dry" not being used
I'd just look inside... You never know
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I had a 31 Model A when I was a teenager. One day I was driving through the neighborhood when it hung up in gear, I had to take my foot and kick it out of gear. When I got home I checked the transmission grease and it was dry as a power house. I filled it back up and it never gave me a bit of trouble. I guess those old cars were nearly bullet proof, if that happened now days you would have to replace every bearing in it and probably half the cogs.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Michelle, the model A transmissions were far more simple and much smaller than our truck transmissions. One thing to check when you have the transmission off the motor is for up/down or sideways play in the input shaft. Lots of play means lots of wear. Play also means you may have problems shifting the transmission. Be sure and replace the pilot bushing in the crankshaft while you have the engine out. There are tricks for tightening up the front input shaft with shims, but it has been many, many years since I've seen this done, and I don't recall exactly what the procedure was. Most likely, I could figure it out if I tore one down. However, if I had it out I would take the top off and see what is inside. If it has sat with water and started rusting, then I would replace it.

Rich
Mojave922
United States of America

Post by Mojave922 »

I was able to put the trans in gear when the linkage was still hooked up. Plan is to pull it this weekend and will report back what I find.
David

65 F100 swb (352 3 spd manual, not running)

Previous rides:
69 Bronco, completed frame-off restoration
07 Kawasaki KLR650
92 Acura Integra GSR
65 Mustang 2+2 A-code
67 Mustang coupe C-code