Backup lights NP435

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

MN66
United States of America

Backup lights NP435

Post by MN66 »

I just bought a later model shift cover for my NP435 trans so the switch for the backup light is included. I also have a set of the bumpside tail light assemblies that include the backup lights. Do I simply need to run 12v to one leg of the switch and another wire to the backup lights from the other leg of the switch?

btw -
Hope to make some progress on my build thread soon. My 390 is a week away from being finished and I'm excited to get it back in the truck!

Thanks!
Corey
1966 F250 LWB
slick4x4
United States of America

Re: Backup lights NP435

Post by slick4x4 »

I think so...
A simple test light would check pretty easy
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Wouldn't hurt to put an in-line fuse or fusible link in the supply side of the circuit, and secure the new wires to existing looms. I would avoid adding the new accessory to any existing fused circuit. he two lamps may draw as much as 35 amps; more yet if high power bulbs are used. Be certain lamp sockets are well grounded.

Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Thanks guys,
I'll make sure to protect the circuit. I swapped in some LED lights on my existing tail lights and had to change the flasher in order to make them work. If I go with LED backup lights, they won't draw as much as filaments.

I'm also doing a 3G alternator upgrade, so I'll be asking more questions shortly.

Regards,
Corey
1966 F250 LWB
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Update -
When I compared the newer shift cover to mine, I found out original '66 has a taller shift tower, which means my shift lever won't work.

I heard back from the craigslist seller, and he has the matching shift lever. I'll make the swap some time this week.

Just wanted to document the issue for anyone considering this option.

1966 F250 LWB
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

I did this top cover swap years ago on my '65 F-250, and of course now that you mentioned the shifter needing to be replaced along with the cover, naturally only then do I remember having to deal with that as well. My current '66 4x4 already had that upgrade done to it when I got it, but the switch wasn't hooked up to anything and truck still had the correct '64-'66 tail light assemblies. So, guessing the whole trans was likely replaced at some point. I got a harness for the switch an installed the '67-'72 tail lights.

MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

Really like your 64. I wish they had kept the red insert on the side mouldings as an option on later trucks.

I'm curious what you used for the cargo light on the back of your cab? Do you have it wired with your backup lights or with a switch?

Thanks,
Corey
1966 F250 LWB
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

Hey Corey... Thanks! It's a '66 tho... I did the red stripe in the side trim myself, just because I like that touch on the '64s too. One more way Ford was saving money in '65 & '66 by eliminating the red stripes in the side trim, along with discontinuing the cabled kick panel vents (personally I utilize the cable vents in this '66 anyway... I like them better).

The cargo light is the '67-72 era (bump side) Ford truck cargo light. Its just wired into a switch under the dash. I used a pull-switch from an emergency flasher so I could use a matching dash knob... The cargo light originally came with an illuminated dash knob.

longcabjohn
United States of America

Post by longcabjohn »

Just to add some worthless information, that cargo light started as a backup light on a 64 thunderbird.

Just worthless information unless you are restoring a bird.

Johnny
If restoring a ford was easy, chevy guys could do it.
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

f25065 wrote:Hey Corey... Thanks! It's a '66 tho... I did the red stripe in the side trim myself, just because I like that touch on the '64s too. One more way Ford was saving money in '65 & '66 by eliminating the red stripes in the side trim, along with discontinuing the cabled kick panel vents (personally I utilize the cable vents in this '66 anyway... I like them better).

The cargo light is the '67-72 era (bump side) Ford truck cargo light. Its just wired into a switch under the dash. I used a pull-switch from an emergency flasher so I could use a matching dash knob... The cargo light originally came with an illuminated dash knob.
Well, now my truck's gonna need the red stripe, if you don't mind me stealing your idea? I'm curious what the cable mechanism looks like at the kick panel vent - would you mind posting a photo? Does it require '64 vents to make it work?

Thanks for the info on the cargo light.
longcabjohn wrote:Just to add some worthless information, that cargo light started as a backup light on a 64 thunderbird.

Just worthless information unless you are restoring a bird.

Johnny
No such thing as useless information. It might be easier for me to find parts for a 64 T-bird in some of the auctions I've watched recently...

Regards,
Corey
1966 F250 LWB
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

Exactly... no such thing as useless/worthless info, and no such thing as stealing ideas 'round here... only sharing them (far as I'm concerned). Lord knows I've "stolen" my share from all you guys, so I kinda have to call it "sharing"!! Eh... besides, the red stripe isn't even my idea anyhow. I've seen it on a couple other '65s/'66s over the years. Just like on the '64s, it makes a lot of positive difference.

Also Johnny, since you brought it up, now I knew the lens (actually glass, not even plastic) started as a backup light on the T-Birds, but was it actually the whole light assembly that was T-Bird? That much I didn't know. Also being that it started as another application, the light is actually correctly installed on the trucks upside down (the writing on the glass lens is inverted). Ford DID like repurposing their old left over parts!

Corey, I can get some pics of the vent this weekend... I'm keeping my truck out in the country for now as I have no parking where I currently live. Yes this requires the '61-'64 kick panel vents, with a little modification. Completely different than the '65/'66 vents. But they do work great.

Norm
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

Hey Corey, haven't gotten out to my truck yet but just came across this on eBay... does this help? Let me know if you'd still like pics of my actual application, no problem, but this should give you the general idea of the vent cable mechanism at the kick panel. I'll probably be going out to where my truck is tomorrow and/or Sunday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-PICKUP-TRU ... SwcUBYGeAJ

Norm
MN66
United States of America

Post by MN66 »

f25065 wrote:Hey Corey, haven't gotten out to my truck yet but just came across this on eBay... does this help? Let me know if you'd still like pics of my actual application, no problem, but this should give you the general idea of the vent cable mechanism at the kick panel. I'll probably be going out to where my truck is tomorrow and/or Sunday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-PICKUP-TRU ... SwcUBYGeAJ

Norm
Thanks Norm - that link helps! No need for a picture now that I know what to look for.

Regards,
Corey
1966 F250 LWB
f25065
United States of America

Post by f25065 »

No problem Corey. Any '61- '64 will have them, as well as '65 4x4s & 350s, and '66 F-250 4x4s & 350s. Guys, correct me if I'm wrong on that for the cable-actuated kick panel vents.

Norm