Jeez, it's not even noon yet.......

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jamesdfo
Canada

Jeez, it's not even noon yet.......

Post by jamesdfo »

Jeez, it's not even noon yet............and I'm going to use up my stupid question of the day:)

So, if'n a guy was to want to swap out the manual trans behind a 300 I-6 in a '66 for a C6 Automatic, is there going to be issues with balance when swapping the OE flywheel for a flexplate?

I'm hoping it will be as simple as robbing the flexplate, blockplate, auto trans starter, kickdown linkage, etc from a newer donor and bolting it all up, but that Murphy guy follows me whereever I go :dontknow:

** Currently only contemplating this, still a long ways from pulling the trigger:)

And the (original??) 300 is only an interim engine, I have recently acquired a 1994 351W Roller engine, which will likely end up in the truck at a later date.....

James
36truck
United States of America

Re: Jeez, it's not even noon yet.......

Post by 36truck »

As long as you use the flex plate from the same era as the engine your good to go. I don't remember the year Ford changed the balance but it was in the late eighty's.
Tom Williams
LM14
United States of America

Re: Jeez, it's not even noon yet.......

Post by LM14 »

I6 doesn't need a counterweight.

We ran 6 cyl plates behind our internally balanced V8 race engines to operate the starter (clutch was built inside the transmission, check out Brinn trannys for race cars to see what I'm talking about). If we couldn't get our hands on a 6cyl plate, we just removed the weight from a V8 flex plate.

You can get flex plates at your local auto parts store. We gave $39 for Pioneer plates.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!